Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before you say - - she's a puppy - - we've had lots of puppies and have never encountered anything like this.

We've tried crate training, deterrents, praising when she goes outside, scolding when she goes inside, long walks before bed time to tire her out (it mostly happens overnight).

We hired a trainer, but frankly she has not been much help and suggests that we keep her in her crate overnight (she does not associate the crate positively yet so she barks incessantly).

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
How old is she and how long have you had her? How often do you take her out? Does she get a middle of the night potty break?

I'd quit any scolding and change from praise to actual food rewards when she goes outside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She goes out every hour while we are awake. We probably need to do a middle of the night potty break, but she does not enjoy going at nighttime in general. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If she's going overnight, she needs to be taken out overnight. Definitely stop with the scolding, that just results in a dog who hides when they go. (And wasn't that fun when I got Kabota and he was too terrified to go in front of me.) Switch to a yummy treat instead of praise, as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts