Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our three month old pup is very submissive to our three year old dog. Now as you can see in the pictures, the pup will be a little bigger. Anyway, the pup will let the older one do anything. If I am throwing a toy and the pup is playing with it and she sees the older dog come, she will let the older dog get it. If they are both playing around, the pup will lay on her back and sometimes even lays her head back so her throat is exposed. I am of course assuming she is being very submissive. Do you guys think that the older one will be the pack leader or will it change when the pup gets older?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are new at this two dog thing. The older one sometimes tries to bite her and I don't think she totally succeeds but I can't tell where her hair is wet. Usually they are best of pals but sometimes the older one gets jealous.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Puppies will always be submissive to older dogs at this age....it's pure survival instinct. You'll see a change in their relationship around 16 weeks....the gloves come off and the older dog won't tolerate any bratty puppy behavior....the puppy will no longer be a puppy. Generally, the older dog keeps their status forever as most dogs have no desire to create a new world order.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now it really is cute. The pup watches to see what the older dog does and tries to follow. She even tried to bark (has succeeded) and it sure made a funny noise.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
and your older dog may snap at the puppy but this is important as it teaches your puppy what her boundaries are. when she does something that is unacceptable "in the dog world" your older dog may step in and tell her off with a flash of teeth and a growl but she will probably never bite down on the puppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts