Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our personalities determine our dogs personality? I was thinking how all of my Rotties had these great sense of humor they are fun loving easy going dogs. That is my view of this "dangerous breed" anyway. I was talking to some friends the other day and mentioned this to them. They said "well of course, they take on your personality." All but one of my dogs have been rescues and they came from some rather bleak backgrounds. They all became the sort of similar with time. They are pretty easy going dogs, they are tolerant of peoples goofy behavior, they seem to enjoy a good joke. lol They all seem to have some sense of humor. Some more then others. Inga would have been a comedian. She was always happy and laughing. (as was I back when I first got her) Oliver is a bit more nervous but still a big lap dog with a wiggle butt. I got him a few weeks before my Cancer diagnosis. I am thinking besides the abuse his personality took on a bit of my stress? Carsten is probably my most serious dog, though he still has a sense of humor and seems more fun loving to me then many other breeds I meet. I just wonder how much of our personality is rubbed off on our dogs? Like human beings with birth order, I wonder how getting a dog at various times in our lives affects their personalities? Do you remember your childhood dogs being more animated then your dogs you got as adults? I think just like people a dogs personality is always evolving or changing based on it's surroundings. Dogs in bad situations might seem depressed while dog with militant owners might be super serious and focused. I know some of that is what type of dog a type of person choses but not all of it. I certainly am NOT the type most folks picture with Rotties yet I am the type that has successfully raised many of them. A gal at the kennel club last night said to me " your dogs are all the same... they are big loving mush dogs." Since I like most people, dogs, everything, does that pass to my dogs? Maybe I have just been really really lucky and picked all the perfect dogs for me. lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's a two-way street: they take on some of our personality...and we take on some of theirs.

If you had told any of my friends 8 years ago, that I'd be rolling around on the floor playing tug...they've have thought you were crazy.

As adults we forget about play. Dogs remind us.

·
Registered
643 Posts
My dogs are all completely different. Cerbie is the serious, hyper clown, velcro dog. I don't know how he pulls it off, but he does. Brigit is the independent guardian of the house. Max is still settling in, as we got him in september, but he's more laid back, and just wants all the lovin he can get.

My childhood dog was very serious, and very rarely played. She was always watchful. I was not a happy kid, and I confided in Maggie a lot. Maybe you're on to something Inga. I'm much happier as an adult, and my current pack is a happy bunch, especially coming from the backgrounds that they did.

And as a child, I always hated little dogs with a passion. Now my husband laughs at me as I play chase with the doxies around the ottoman in our living room. Dogs do remind us to play and be silly. It's great.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
More likely that our personalities determine what type of dogs we gravitate towards. My two Rotties were similar to yours (given the male-female differences), but my Golden is nothing at all like the Rotts. My male Rott and my male Golden was/is both comedians. In human terms, however, the Rott was like George Burns, where the Golden is like the reincarnated spirit of Curly Howard. Polar opposites.

The Rotties were the picture of quite dignity. The Golden was clearly born without the dignity gene.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if I believe it or not but I do know that I often find myself thinking that if Max was a human he'd be like me and vice versa. Maybe I like not to believe it because I worry that if that's the case then I am the one who made him kind of neurotic. But I am drawn to terrier breeds naturally and they tend to be a little more, err, difficult (?) or drivey than a lot of other dogs so maybe it's a little bit of both.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Inga, I agree. Everyone who meets my dog tells me that he's perfect for my family because he's just like me; laid back, easy going, calm one minute but ready for anything the next, etc. Everyone tells me how lucky I am, and though I wouldn't disagree I try to convince people it's not all luck.

My in-laws have a dog and they always say they wish he was more like my Toby, yet they are completely different than I am and their dog mirrors his environment (NUTS!!) just like my dog mirrors his (relaxed). No way is this completely coincidence; that I happened to get a dog like me and they happened to get a dog like them.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if I believe it or not but I do know that I often find myself thinking that if Max was a human he'd be like me and vice versa. Maybe I like not to believe it because I worry that if that's the case then I am the one who made him kind of neurotic. But I am drawn to terrier breeds naturally and they tend to be a little more, err, difficult (?) or drivey than a lot of other dogs so maybe it's a little bit of both.

LOL don't worry Max'sHuman, I feel the same way. Sometimes I worry that I make my dogs OCD. lol It is just that all of my dogs (other then Carsten) came from very bad backgrounds and they all ended up with these sort of fun loving personalities. I think I am pretty easy going about most things (except grooming the dogs) I laugh a LOT and try to be friendly to everyone. NOTE I say TRY. :) They TRY too. Last night in class when a woman with her Yorkie complained to the instructor that her dog was too nervous to sit next to "THAT MONSTER" referring to my well behaved dog. I told her she was REALLY RUDE! The instructor agreed with me but the lady didn't even have the decency to act like she was embarrassed for being so rude. I tried to continue being polite after that as well though. Oliver handled himself in the usual manner. Quietly sitting there looking at her with his tooth hanging out. lol (he had a broken jaw that healed wrong from lack of care) Anyway, point of my whole long story is that I worry that my mistakes will show on my dogs. So far, I get a lot of complements on their behavior and personalities so... I can't be all bad. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts