Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes we have a Tigger in out house. She is a 9 month old Boxer mix. She is full of energy. We have a large yard for her to run in. We also have a 18 month old Lab/Aussie and man do they play together A LOT.
Another reason for the Tigger comment is because she bounces all over the place. Jumps off the porch, never goes down the whole 1 step. Bounces around the front yard to go from one side to another.
I know its energy. Like I said we have another dog plus I can't even begin to tell you how many toys we have. She loves balls so I made sure we have plenty.
We try to play with her but the other dog gets involved and they take off to play with each other over with us. Which we are fine with.

The problem is how she is with our neighbor. She is like a second mom to the older dog. She comes to the fence and will pet them. Callie has this thing, she will lunge at her. I have tried working with her, telling her no and taking her over showing her how it should be done (her behavior). Our neighbor has come over several times and Cal is fine with her coming in the yard.

Is this common for a Boxer? Our neighbor backs away because yes it seems she is going for her but I don't see it as being aggression. She doesn't act like it is but safer then sorry.

Like I said we get involved when we are out there but we are not always so I worry when her step daughter, 10 yrs old, comes over to pet them. Any other ideas???

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Don't leave the dogs outside unsupervised. Full stop. If you have even the slightest inkling that someone might get bitten, especially a child, you need to prevent it. So until you can put in a kennel or do something to the fence to prevent interaction, the dogs are not outside unsupervised.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have broken her jumping on people when they are in the yard. I'm not worried about her biting the kid she doesn't come over now unless I'm there. So biting isn't an issue. The little girl is old enough to understand.

I'm more wondering if this is a common behavior for Boxers? Or is this a territorial thing? Or is it just from the energy level?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I'm a bit confused at your description. So she's just jumping up on the neighbor when she tries to pet your older dog? Or is she lunging and barking and acting aggressive?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry kind of hard to explain...

she is not being aggressive but her behavior makes my neighbor nervous. What she is doing is jumping up on the fence. Her motion makes it appear as she is lunging. She is a hyper dog, very bounce all the time. Her jump up does take her feet a little off the ground. Of course my neighbor also is nervous about her being a hyper dog period.

Callie is also only 9 months old and we have had her only 2 moths and no idea about her before since she was a abandoned shelter dog.

We are looking into adding a foot to the fence. This has more to do with people walking by the front of the house, both dogs barking and stuff. There they are showing more aggression. Being more protective which we get. But with the neighbor its just her jumping up, no aggression or barking. Since they can stand and their feet rest on the top of the fence we are adding more for everyone's piece of mind. And no they are not trying to get over the fence, just with little kids walking by we want people to not worry walking by them.

We have gotten her to stop jumping on people. She does jump, or get even more bounce when we come home or when the same neighbors comes over but she has learned not to jump on people.

I guess what I am wondering is if this is just her being a boxer, a hyper dog or of this is really aggression. Or if my neighbor needs to also chill a little. She has little dogs of her own. Her husband's dog is now at his dad's. She thought that dog was not trained enough and I never say him that way. She has made comments that Callie is just to hyper.

We always play things safe, that is why we asked the girl to only come over if we are around. Are other dog is great with her but new dog you just don't know so until there is more of a relationship we are playing things safe. They have played ball together and have been fine but safety first.

Hope I didn't make it more confusing.

Guess in the long run I'm trying to figure out if I just have a hyper dog or if I'm not doing enough training.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
So the way I'm reading it, your neighbor comes over to the fence to see the dogs, but gets nervous when your young dog jumps up to see her?

Your dog isn't being aggressive. She's begin a young excited dog. It's not a boxer thing either, it's a young energetic dog thing.

Tell your neighbor to stop coming over and getting the dogs riled up if it makes her nervous. Or ask her to help you train your dog to stay off the fence.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Also just throwing it out there, but if the dogs can rest their paws on the top of the fence, then most likely they could jump it if motivated enough. I definitely wouldn't be leaving them outside unsupervised unless/until you can make the fence more secure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,

I know we still have training to do with her and our neighbor has got to understand an new dog isn't going to act like a dog that we have had over a yr and from a small puppy. We will keep working to train her to not jump up on the fence too. Not a good habit to have any how. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Guess in the long run I'm trying to figure out if I just have a hyper dog or if I'm not doing enough training.
Really, the answer is that it's both of these things. Yes, your dog is a bit hyper. Pretty much all dogs her age are hyper though - that's puppies. If she's doing something you don't want her to do, then you need to train her so she does what you do want her to do.

But it's totally up to you whether her behavior is fine or not. It's not your neighbor's decision.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Was very glad that the dogs weren't with us the day the pit bull down the street accidently bounced over the 6' gate. She has been known to go after other dogs but there were no dogs around that time, she was just bored and entertaining herself barking and bouncing at passerbys. Was very glad my vegetable garden has a fence separating it from the rest of the back yard when the boxer next door accidently fell into my VG. Also glad I was there and went to get the owner of the silly beast so he wasn't back there for long.

My dogs are inside if I am not there. Too many things can happen to dogs outside on their own. Bouncing over the fence is just one. I am concerned about the dogs entertaining themselves by barking, not okay. There are people that let dogs out or put poison over the fence. Are you sure there is nothing dangerous back there, Bucky finds great food and toys in my back yard all the time. Usually his finds aren't good for him. Long ago kids went over a fence and were mauled by the resident dogs in my neighborhood, that is a common scenario for killer dogs - not that dog kill often! A couple of predatory dogs dug under a fence and killed a dog left in the yard years ago. They could swallow a bee and die with a throat swollen shut. You wouldn't want to come home to find a dead cat in your yard, that's possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts