Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of our newly adopted dog, The Vet says he is around 7 months old. He shows no food aggression, and is always rolling over on his back for tummy rubs, he is very mellow and quiet. Any ideas of what breed he is and how big he may get would be great. I assume he has some Rotty in him. he is 40 pounds right now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definitely Rottweiler, maybe some Stafforshire Terrier, too. The shape of his face and lay of his ears give me that impression. He also has some brindling it looks like on his chest and legs, which could be Stafforshire, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rottweiler/Staffie would be a very good possiblity as I do believe there are Rottie/Pitt breeders in my area, but Cathoula leoperd dog or plott hound are a very unlikely.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
He is gorgeous! Rott/Pitt seems right.Keep up on training, and don't let his cuteness get him his way if you've already said no.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yah, It does seem about right for him. He is a very smart cookie, already knows sit, lay, roll left, he is learning to stay, and its coming along good, he is fairly well housebroke, and is good with the cat and my three year old sister. He's pretty good about baking off if you say no si it isn't that hard :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Mine is too, but he gives me "the eyes". Good to hear he's trained! Mine came trained also, very cool eh? And thanks for adopting a big black dog, apparently not a lot of people do it.:eek:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
He is very handsome. God bless you for adopting him. I hope he gives you many many years of happiness. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
He looks JUST like my parents Dog! Except he has white on his mouth and chest instead of gold.

He's a Lab/Pit, but the Rott is really showing in your new baby. So I second/or third/or whatever the vote for Rott/Pit :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Absolutely awesome..I sooo wanted to adopt a rottweiler from the pound.I looked and looked at them for at least a year.But I just have to many variables and was actually scared because our "pounds" do not do the personality profile so its a grab bag as far as problems or personality goes.If I didnt have cats,small dogs and kids I would have.But we did rescue a rottie mix puppy that was on its way to the pound so maybe I still helped a little.And I can raise it up so that it loves all of the above.....Congratulations on your new pal!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I certainly see Rottie in him. My God, he is beautiful, isn't he?

Good for you for adopting. So many dogs out there need great homes. It is a shame. You see, he seems to be a well mannered dog and all he needed was someone to love him! I bet you made him so happy. :)

I wish the two of you a long and loving friendship!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Isn't it nice when you adopt a dog and find out that he's already had some basic training? Congrats! Does he have a name?

Ludo, I love that Dave Barry quote. Big fan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Isn't it nice when you adopt a dog and find out that he's already had some basic training? Congrats! Does he have a name?

Ludo, I love that Dave Barry quote. Big fan.
It amazes me how many wonderful dogs are at shelters!

Since we can't sell our smaller house and rent it out we're renting a bigger house but I want to see about getting a 2nd dog. We moved in with one pet a cat but paid for 2 pet deposits knowing we would get a dog one day again ( our beloved Buster died a few months prior to the move). We just got a 18 month old Lab but if our land lord is ok with it after I pay her another pet deposit I like to find a Lab or Lab mix at a shelter for Toby to have a play mate!

I know the shelter gets some awesome dogs!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I find that many dogs at shelters, even if they have had no training, are quite eager to please. The idea is that they have seen how bad things can be - and will do whatever it takes to never go back.

It does amaze me how many well trained dogs there are without homes. It makes me wonder why they are in a shelter.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Lots of people lately have to move to places that don't accept dogs. 99% of people will not go homeless just to keep their dog. :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lots of people lately have to move to places that don't accept dogs. 99% of people will not go homeless just to keep their dog. :eek:
We moved because we out grew the home we own but can't sell it so are renters and a land lord. We found a place excepting animals.

I think a lot of people don't do any research on the breed they are getting. People also see a cute mix breed puppy for free, have no clue how to train the dog or didn't realize the time it takes to own a dog.

I'm not saying people aren't moving in with parents, but others moving to rentals, it's not hard to find a place excepting pets. Also, if getting foreclosed, you have months to find your pet a new home with out dumping them off at a shelter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have named him Mojo, Moe for short, not to terribly smart though because Moe can sound like No but he seems to know the differece. He may look a tad houndish, but I dont think he is, hes nothing like the hounds I know. He really is a great big teddy bear. He knows sit, lay, stay, shake (His head not skae paw), high five, he is learning to say yes and no (shake his head and nod usuing finger cues) and is very calm and easy to walk, good with other dogs too. It is sad to see that so many dogs are at shelters, but where I am there are 12-15 dogs and hundreds of cats.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts