Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have attached some photos of our new puppy we got from a rescue organization (we got our kitty there a few years ago). Our puppy is 11 weeks old and weighs 15lbs. She was listed as a German Shepherd/Boxer mix. I was wondering if anyone can look at her and confirm those breeds (as best as possible of course) and maybe a size estimate? She has a lot of loose skin... I know both shepherds and boxers are great. I grew up with GSDs and loved them. Thanks for the info.

The first photo is her at 8 weeks.... the 2nd one is her at 11 weeks (after digging in the yard). UPDATE: I was able to locate the original owners of the litter or in this case litters. The owner has one GSD and one Boxer female.... her german shepherd/boxer mix male mated with both producing 2 litters. We have one from the GSD mom ... the other photo is from the Boxer mom. wow. Anyway.... judging from that information I think she may grow up to be around 60lbs? She is being spayed today as is required from rescue org. before we bring her home for good. At 11 weeks... will spaying this young have adverse effects? I've heard everthing from stunted growth to lazy. Our previous dogs were spayed/neutered at around 8 mos. old.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Welcome to the forum and your dog is cute. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see GSD or Boxer at all. I see either a Black Mouth Cur or a Chinook, both are rare however. So it may not be them, but that's what I see. What's your pup's name?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to locate the original owners of the litter or in this case litters. The owner has one GSD and one Boxer female.... her german shepherd/boxer mix male mated with both producing 2 litters. We have one from the GSD mom ... the other photo is from the Boxer mom. wow. Anyway.... judging from that information I think she may grow up to be around 60lbs? She is being spayed today as is required from rescue org. before we bring her home for good. At 11 weeks... will spaying this young have adverse effects? I've heard everthing from stunted growth to lazy. Our previous dogs were spayed/neutered at around 8 mos. old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is our man of the house upon meeting Rue for the first time...... He warmed up to the puppy about day 2 and I think was looking for her last night after we had dropped her off at vet. Our cat Kiwi loved my son's Pug. We kept her while my son was in Army Basic Training. I'm sure he and the puppy will be inseparable before long too.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Very cute! Our shelter pup was neutered already when we got him at 8 weeks old. He is small breed (doxie mix), but he's been growing like crazy and is a very busy guy, so I haven't noticed any negative effects.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
We brought Rue home from the vet after spaying. She is doing very well and is as energetic as can be. She seems so thin though... her hind end tilts downward like a shepherd and she stumbles quite a bit with her back legs. She also has a lot of loose skin... and large forearms. Odd porportions... but she is the best puppy ever. We have no idea what her size will be... just estimating based on her parents. We can't wait to take her camping.... although right now, she'd eat her way through the tent. : ). She has her follow-up appointment on the 27th... We never thought we'd be ready for another dog after ours passed away at age 16. But Rue has brought quite a lot of joy so far. Thanks for your reponses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts