really like him. He came home Friday evening, he's great
with our kids, great in the house, very calm, etc. During
a thunderstorm, he started shaking a little, and kinda
moving in a wierd way, but I just thought he was scared
(and maybe he was.)

BUT, yesterday morning, he was sitting calmly by me on the
living room floor, and he suddenly got up with his head
down and sorta crawled to my son's room where he had a
seizure. It scared me half to death, and he lost control of his bladder and bowels on the floor while he was seizing. My husband took him to the
vet that morning, and they diagnosed him with epilepsy, but said it
would take months to figure out how to treat the seizures
(if it's even necessary.)

My husband thinks we should return him to the rescue
organization, as he doesn't want to take a chance on the
time and expenses that this dog might put us through(not
to mention how attached we are all getting) should he
become very ill. We already have two dogs and two young
children, so it might be too much for us to take on.

Just some background on the dog.... he's about 4-5 years old and VERY skinny. Also, he was possibly vaccinated twice just before we got him (the rescuer didn't want to take the shelters word that they did it). He was also recently treated for two type of worms. So, in general, he's not in great health (though the vet said his heart sounded great.) I just wish that one of these factors (or the fact that he was just transported to a new place) could explain the seizure away, but since the vet diagnosed epilepsy, I realize that's probably not possible.

Anyway, do any of you have advice regarding dogs with seizures? I
really want to keep him and see what happens, but I
realize that's probably not practical. :(

Thanks for any advice you may have.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Canine Epilepsy Network website. Chock full of info and it might help with your decision.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi...you sound as if you really love dogs -- and I know how you might feel about this dog and seizures -- they are very scary -- I had a Collie that I bought as a puppy -- and about 3 months after I bought her -- she started having seizures --

At the time I didn't know what was going on and I had 2 small children and was very worried ---

My Vet put her on PhenoBarbitol (I would get it by prescription at My Drugstore) ...I would give her 1 pill a day ....and she lived to be 12 years old -- and during that time she only seizured twice and they were mild.

I was scared when it first happened and wanted to give her back -- but I'm so happy I didn't -- she was a great dog and lived a great life.

Get a second opinion from another Vet - before you give her back -- you sound as if you want to keep her but are just scared ...

The PhenoBarbitol is NOT expensive (ask for a generic brand) --

The dog needs you...give her another chance -- you won't regret it -- epilesy in a dog is treatable....:)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I think if you want to keep him and play it by ear, that's certainly a possibility IF the rest of the family is on board. Many dogs do live long and happy lives with epilepsy, some controlled with meds and some who don't need it. At the same time, there ARE dogs who can't be maintained seizure free, and some who do suffer side effects from the meds. I think I'd have a sit-down talk with your husband. Is it the expense? (Phenobarb's pretty cheap, but fairly regular blood levels need to be done to make sure the dog is not suffering side effects, especially when dosages are high). The fact that your kids will be upset by it? The fact thta it's just too much stress to deal with? All of these are truly valid reasons if he really feels strongly about it, and no one would blame you for not wanting to deal with it (including the rescue group.)

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this- dalmatians are neat dogs. There's not really a clear-cut answer, unfortunately, and it's just going to depend on figuring out what's best for you and your family. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I would contact the rescue and ask them if they were aware of a past history of seizures and let them know what happened. They may be able to help you out with the bills for diagnoses and treatment.

It IS possible, if he wasn't in the rescue for very long they didn't know about the condition. I know if our rescue had a situation like this we'd do everything to help the adoptors out and. it the adoptors didn't want to deal with the condition we'd take the dog back and find a new home for him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts