Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a puppy yesterday for a local shelter. She is an Amstaff/bulldog mix, and 4 mo. old. When the shelter rescued her she had mange and she required oral medicine to recover. To give her this medicine they gave her cottage cheese mixed with just a tiny bit of dry dog food, and evidently this is all they ever gave her because she WILL NOT eat dry food. only wet food. She is very very skinny and we do not know what to do. We dont want her to only eat wet food because we want her to be rasied on dry food for several nurtitional and cost reasons. But at the same time, we want a dog that doesnt look deathly skinny. Like I said, we've had her for 1 day and her ribs and hip bones are visible. it seems as though this shelter screwed us ultimately because now she only wants people food or wet dog food.

What should we do?

thanks

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Try mixing the cottage cheese with the dry food...then slowly decrease the amount of cottage cheese over time........a healthy dog will not starve its self so she will eat ....offer her the food and if after at set time she doesn't eat it...take it up till the next feeding.

and please post some pictures of her :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can you not try adding a little water to the food just to soften it slightly?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would do what pugmom suggests only I would use canned dog food instead of cottage cheese. It has more nutrients that the dog needs than cottage cheese. And over time (maybe 3 weeks) you can add a little more kibble and decrease the wet food every day until you're just putting a spoonful of wet food into the kibble.

I would also add warm water to the mix when it starts getting to be more kibble than canned. Then continue the warm water after the canned food is phased out.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would do what pugmom suggests only I would use canned dog food instead of cottage cheese. It has more nutrients that the dog needs than cottage cheese. And over time (maybe 3 weeks) you can add a little more kibble and decrease the wet food every day until you're just putting a spoonful of wet food into the kibble.

I would also add warm water to the mix when it starts getting to be more kibble than canned. Then continue the warm water after the canned food is phased out.
I agree wet dog food would be better...I only suggested the cottage cheese because I thought that is what she was already getting....but Four is right...if she will eat it I would go with the wet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So wet food and a tad of dry, then about 3 weeks into this slowly start subtracting wet and adding dry? It seems now she licks all of the wet food off of the dry food and leaves the dry in the bowl. Do you see this behavior subsiding gradually?

Will wet food be healthy enough for her as a puppy? It is pedigree puppy formula...

Thanks so much for the help so far

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
You said you've only had her one day. She won't starve in the few days it takes her to decide she better eat what she's given.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can also try adding a puppy milk replacer to her food. I realize that she's not a nursing puppy still (which is what these formulas are designed for), but they are very calorie dense and palatable. I usually suggest this to customers that come into my store who are having the same problem with a rescue dog. You can also try Nutrical.

Definitely give her some glucosamine/chondroitin supplements as well (once you get her to start eating). Since she is so skinny now while her bones and joints are developing, the glucosamine/chondroitin should help her develop healthier joints and will help prevent joint problems in the long run.

Good luck with your new dog, please post some pictures!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Something else to consider.....sometimes dogs avoid dry food because of tooth or gum problems so, be sure thats not an issue. In the winter, I soak the kibble in warm water (because it's frozen) and my guys seem to prefer it moistened/warmed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Most puppies when they are in a new place do not eat well. Give him some time, hand feed him at first. He is in new surroundings he needs some time. I would continue to feed him what he is use to for a week or so before I added anything new and then do it slowly. Good luck. My pup was not a good eater when I got her. She is a grown dog now and will eat ANYTHING

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
So wet food and a tad of dry, then about 3 weeks into this slowly start subtracting wet and adding dry?
That's not exactly what I meant.

Wet food and a tad of dry (do this for 2-3 days)
Add some dry, remove some wet (do this for 2-3 days)
Add more dry, remove more wet (do this for 2-3 days)

I meant take 3-4 weeks to make the entire transition from wet to dry.

It seems now she licks all of the wet food off of the dry food and leaves the dry in the bowl.
Eventually. during this 3-4 week period, she'll still be hungry after the wet is gone and will hopefully eat a few pieces of dry. If she does that, I'd stay at that mixture for a few extra days. Then start adding more dry. Make sure to mix it up real good. And if you put the dry in the bowl and add warm water and let it soak for a few minutes, then mix in the wet, it will be hard for her to lick the wet off.

Will wet food be healthy enough for her as a puppy? It is pedigree puppy formula...
I would change foods to something more nourishing. Of course it's going to be more expensive. I'd go with something like like Avoderm, Blue Buffalo, California Naturals, depending on what you can get in your area. But yes, wet food will be fine for her.

Here's a website that lists a LOT of dog foods and rates them with stars. I'd go with at LEAST a 3 star food. The glucosamine/chondroitin suggestion is a GREAT one!

Dog Food Analysis

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
When I first got Betty, she didn't eat much at all of the dry kibble, and the way I got her to eat more was to mix in some wet dog food. I kept it as mostly dry, but made sure the wet food was mixed in very well, and she would eat the whole dish. Eventually, I would do just dry, and she would eat it fine as well. Sometimes all it takes is to make it enticing by adding a little wet, like a dog food in gravy to mix with it.

Edit:
I've even broke up some sardines in fresh water and mixed it in as well, and the dogs love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts