Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! We just adopted this little girl from the pound. Was told she is 8 weeks and a Rottweiler mix. Right now she is 5.8 pounds,which I think is due to being malnourished. She is adjusting so well, and has a great personality so far! Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The Rottie is evident, but I can't tell what the other part is. But she is very cute! Love the eyebrows!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely super cute! Appears to have the Rottie markings...but not sure what else. Sometimes it's hard to tell when they're still that little (sometimes I think that at that a puppy can look like a lot of different breeds).

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I actually see more Dobe than Rott---her ears aren't quite Rott-ish and she has a slimmer build. It'll be easier to tell when she gets older.

But unless she's severely malnourished and underweight (and she doesn't look to be bad off), she must be mixed with something smaller. My Lab was 8 pounds at 6 weeks, and she got to be 55 pounds. So if your pup is 6 pounds at 8 weeks she'll probably be smaller than that. . .maybe 40-45 pounds.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Oh, he is cute!

It's so hard to tell at 8 weeks. He's around the right size for a rotti pup of that age, and the markings are right. His face seems a little too "sharp", but maybe he's just not bred to standard?

Keep us updated!

·
Banned
78 Posts
Definately a cutie cross lovable, short hair.

Id say rottie and kelpie, those legs are rather long for a rottie, the tail is thin, whereas a rotties is quite thick. And there is some lighter than rottie colouring in there around the muzzle and chest. looks kelpie to me.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I actually see more Dobe than Rott---her ears aren't quite Rott-ish and she has a slimmer build. It'll be easier to tell when she gets older.

But unless she's severely malnourished and underweight (and she doesn't look to be bad off), she must be mixed with something smaller. My Lab was 8 pounds at 6 weeks, and she got to be 55 pounds. So if your pup is 6 pounds at 8 weeks she'll probably be smaller than that. . .maybe 40-45 pounds.
I see the dobe also..... slimmer build with the ears....were they positive about the rotti ??

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Honestly... your guess is as good as any. Black and tan is a very very common pattern that shows up in a wide range of breeds, not just rottweilers. Pits, dobes, dachshunds, rotts, spaniels, terriers, herding breeds, labs, etc can come in black and tan.

I think that you're not looking at a huge dog judging by the pictures. I think it's a mix of a mix. No telling what is in there but I really don't see any rott except for color which could come from anywhere.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
At 8 weeks and 5.8lb there is a chance that this dog has no dobe or rottie in it.
I'm not entirely sure about rotties but an 8 week old doberman puppy weights around 20lbs and I bet rotties are similar.

Do they know that the mother has rottie in her?
She could be a mix of a minpin and something slightly larger. I don't really have a guess but I've seen a ton of smallish 20lb mix-breed dogs at work that looked a lot like your puppy.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I also dont see any dobe or rottie in her lol, in shelters EVERY black dog with tan markings is a "Rottie X".

maybe a min pin X of some kind?, like others said, its hard to tell when they are that young.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
She could be a mix of a minpin and something slightly larger. I don't really have a guess but I've seen a ton of smallish 20lb mix-breed dogs at work that looked a lot like your puppy.
I don't see Rott either. I've seen many spaniel mixes with this coat type and color pattern and ear set - when bred to terriers and even chihuahuas.

SOB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some more pictures. We have noticed that her tail is always curled up, she has one white toe nail and she has some pretty long legs for 8 weeks. Then again, 8 weeks is what the pound told us.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi....he is a very cute puppy! Congratulations! I see Rottweiler & German Shepard - both great dogs! :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I see terrier more than anything. 5.8 lbs at 8 weeks makes her close in size to my sheltie at that age, just a little bigger and your dog's paws do look bigger comparatively. My sheltie topped out at 25 lbs. I'd bet you're looking at a 30 lb, maybe slightly bigger dog. Nowhere near rottweiler or doberman size.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for the input!! Whatever she is, she's turning out to be an awesome little girl so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is her one white toe nail just a result of being a mutt? It's on her back left foot, and I have read this is sometimes passed down in Rottweilers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: She is now 10.2 pounds, almost 11 weeks, and getting some brown/tan longer hairs in random spots. Here are some updated pics. Any new guesses?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts