Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my way home from picking up the Momma dog from the track, I stopped at another greyhound track (the adoption kennel on the compound) to pick something up for my DH from the kennel worker and I met this delightful old lady who'd been picked up as a stray.

Her name is Quilty and I couldn't get her out of my mind. The foster home she was supposed to be going to fell through, so the kennel director called me up and asked if we'd like to adopt Quilty. H*LL YES! She's an awesome, spunky old gal. So....I drove back to Birmingham a week later and picked her up.

She's been with us for about a 12 days now...She's 13 years old and about 20 lbs underweight. She was 39.8 lbs the day I picked her up. The first thing we did was take her to our vet and, whiles she's got a few health issues, she's in remarkably good condition. Her biggest health challenge is diabetes. So, we've got her started on insulin shots and she's responding well. She went for a recheck today and she's dropped from 421 to 220!! AND she's gained THREE pounds since last Thursday.

She's well on her way to recovery. Once she has some weight on her, we'll be able to address the mammary tumor on her belly and the small tumor on her chin....On to the pics!

Here she is when I first met her...

And on the way home...

And here she is yesterday with our 11 year old Prajna, three pounds heavier and feeling much better!

A fellow greyhound owner sent her a new collar to wear when she has to go the vet to have her blood sugar monitored...

So, it's been quite a month with the puppies and bringing Quilty home. I'm just glad to have her here...DH and I love the seniors!

·
Registered
265 Posts
She's beautiful. Her coloring reminds me of an old rescued grey that I used to have named Jasmine. Greyhounds are such unique and expressive dogs. I know EXACTLY why you love them... Good luck getting her back into shape you did a good thing by giving her a new home :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah!!! Another senior lover. I'm one too!!! Quilty is a beautiful girl!!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Wow, that first picture breaks my heart. I'm glad you're taking good care of her and helping her put on weight. I'd love to see more pics of her progress.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
LMG, you continuously amaze me. Quilty is beautiful. She deserves a kind, dignified home with lots of love. Thank you for all of your kindness.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
That is very good of you LMG,she looks much better in the follow up pics.
Hope to see more of her soon.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
What is the usual lifespan of a GH? You are truly amazing and bless you for giving this ol girl a home for her "golden" years.

Can't wait to see more pics of those lil babies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts