Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my little town finally built a leash free park, which is so exciting. It's absolutely beautiful, completely fenced in, a huge section for large dogs and a smaller one for the little pups. Complimentary poop bags, and a double gate. I was worried at first about letting Ailchu, my akbash, off leash to play since he hasn't really socialized with other dogs in about two years. But I took a deep breath and let him off and he was fine, he had a good time.

I've been back three times since then and noticed, Ailchu will only play with huskies, or dogs that look like him. His best bud is a husky, so it kinda makes sense. But how do I get him to interact with other breeds? Do your dogs act like this? I think my akbash pup might be a snob!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure how to help, but I just wanted to comment that your username is my dogs name and I was confused as to how he got a dog forums account for a second there XD

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure how to help, but I just wanted to comment that your username is my dogs name and I was confused as to how he got a dog forums account for a second there XD
LOL You though OMG he is going to learn all my secrets and things I say about him now that he has his own acct. To funny.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Most dogs will interact a little with other dogs, but they tend to be drawn to dogs with similar energy and play style. I notice that my Lab mix loves to play with Labs, Pits, Rotts, ... but not some much with Goldens or small dogs.... or with dogs that run fast.

I imagine that a Husky plays in a similar way as your dog.... and it is partially coincidental that they look alike. I imagine that he wouldn't play with an Akita ... or a light colored chow-type of dog. Look similar, very different energy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that makes sense. I'm starting to think I am the one who is most excited to go to the leash free park now, rather than my poor dog!

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
That's how it's been for me too, but I've been told that she will warm up to it if I keep taking her, so I persevere and I have definitely noticed some change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts