Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have just purchased a Patterdale Terrier from a neighbour who was neglecting him. They would leave him chained up all day and all night in the garden, he would constantly cry and whimper. I contacted the Police, RSPCA and our local dog wardens but nobody wanted to help him. So, one day I spoke to the woman directly as I couldn't bear to hear him suffering anymore and asked if he was for sale, she replied he was as she wanted rid of him, so we snapped him up there and then. We had him all checked over by a vet and thankfully apart from being a little underweight he is fine. He had to have his jabs as nobody knew if he had already had them. He is so cute and well behaved considering he is 7 months old and the way he was treated. He follows our youngest son all over the place.
I have a couple of concerns as this is the first time I have owned a dog, he doesn't seem to understand food, I have tried him on most foods wet and dry but he doesn't seem to eat it all (I only put a small amount down, so not to overwhelm him. He loves roast chicken but I can't just give him this. If I mix it with biscuit he will just pick out the chicken!! Has anybody got any advice?
The other problem is he doesn't like to be left on his own, due to what happened to him, we got him a cage for night time and he crys for at least a couple of hours before eventually falling asleep, we have started to leave him as we were told this is the best thing to do. I am worried when School starts again and I am back to work part-time, he will cry all day, again has anyone got any advice?
Sorry for the long post but this is my first time on the forum.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Welcome and thank you for saving a dog!

Food: While your home is better for him, it's still new to him, and dogs take time to adjust to new people and places. You know you're a great person who will treat him well, but he needs to learn that for himself. So, for right now, pick a food. I like dogfoodadvisor.com. Read what they say about food and pick a 3, 4 or 5 star food to feed him. (A note on expensive foods: A high protein, grain free food like Taste of the Wild has much less filler than a food like Purina. So even though TOTW is more expensive than Purina, you feed less of the TOTW and it ends up not being that much more expensive.) Then, feed him. Put it in a bowl, with maybe a little olive oil on top. Pick up the bowl after 15 minutes. He'll figure out soon enough that he eats or he gets hungry. My advice would be different if he were afraid of the bowl, but he's not.

If he is seriously underweight, ignore what I just said and look up "satin balls". Those will put weight on a dog fast, but you're gong to have a hard time transitioning from that sort of deliciousness to regular kibble.

Or, you could feed raw. Look at the food section here for ideas on how to raw feed. Raw feeding is best, in my opinion, but not practical for everyone. I don't feed raw myself.

Crating: You have to condition a dog to a crate. Look up "crate games" for ideas on how to do this. Why are you crating at night? Does he pee inside or cause trouble? If not, get him a doggy bed, put it next to your bed and let him sleep there. If he isn't reliable at night, can you move the crate to your room? He'd feel safer if he could see and smell you. If neither of these things are practical, he'll get over whining eventually on his own.

Good luck, stick around and ask whatever you need to ask.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Hello and welcome! And thank you for saving that poor little dog! That is wonderful!

I will be looking forward to pic of him when you get some! :D

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
One additional thing you can try... Make some roast chicken for your supper. Make a small amount of gravy or sauce by diluting the drippings with a 1/2 cup to a cup of water. Add ONE tablespoon of this sauce to some dry kibble, mix it, and let it soak for a moment. See what he does. You should be able to refrigerate and use this sauce for a few days. On the third day add 2 teaspoons, Fifth, add 1 teaspoon, seventh and eighth- a few drops for smell, then no more chicken sauce.

Try not to include much of the chicken fat in this sauce.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thank you for all your comments. Thankfully Shadow isn't seriously underweight but he does seem to be either very fussy with his food or doesn't seem to understand it, he didn't even know what treats were. I have been feeding him on James Wellbeloved but he started to leave that, so I am now trying him on Butchers food and today he seems to be enjoying it. I will certainly have a go at removing his bowl after 15 minutes and see what happens. I bought Shadow some pick n mix biscuits today from Pets at Home and he didn't know which one he liked, so my husband said to open the bag up and let him have a look!! We were expecting him to take a mouthful, but all he did was sniff them and just took one!!
We brought a dog crate as we wanted him to sleep in there at night, (as we weren't sure how he would react in the house and didn't want any chewing), he does seem to like the crate as he does venture in there during the day as we always leave the cage door open. We had thought about taking the cage upstairs with us, as he does sleep better knowing we are there with him (as I slept downstairs with him for the first couple of nights) but I wanted him to get used to being on his own for when we go to work. We have put some of our socks and my sons t-shirt in the cage, so he has his scent. I think it will just take time for him to realise that he is safe and we will always be there for him. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, thank you for your reply. We do have lots of photos already and I will try and post them as soon as I can. We have just had to finish doggie proofing the garden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts