Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

So, my girlfriend and I just got a Maltese. He's a rescue and he's 4 years old. He's very smart and we've been having great success with teaching all kinds of things. He sits, comes, stays (sometimes) and is quite obedient in general. The only problem is he keeps peeing in the house. We take him out three times a day, but all he does is mark territory. He just runs around and pees on things a little. He never actually pees.

He only actually pees in the house when we're not looking. He usually does it when we're not home, but last night he did it when we weren't paying attention. He ran off to the bathroom and next time I went in, there was pee all over the floor. This morning, we woke up and the first thing we did was take him out. He peed on things a little, pooped, but after 10 min we needed to come back in to work out and head to the office.

We came back in, gave him breakfast, and left him to go work out in the basement. We were only gone for 30 min but by the time we got back, he had made another mess all over the bathroom floor.

I'm not sure what the problem is. He knows that he's supposed to pee outside, and the foster parents who had him never had a problem. (though, they had a doggy door, so that might be the problem in and of itself) Is he just used to going outside whenever he feels like it? How do we stop this? When we find he peed, he knows he did something wrong. His ears go back and he gets upset. Never barks, though. So, I send him to bed and tell him to stay there, and he does.

Well, I appreciate any help anyone can lend. Thank you!

M!

·
Banned
808 Posts
I would crate when you are not home and make use of belly band when you are. He may have been used to being walked to go to the bathroom so you may wish to leash walk him by hand if he is not currently being done so.

Dogs do not get the omg I did it look they read the feelings and vibes when you come up looking for it and finding it that makes them look apprehensive. Perhaps do try installing a doggie door.

·
Banned
808 Posts
A band of cloth with velco enclosure that goes around dogs middle over his bits you place sanitary pad in it and it catches if he goes but most will not unless cant physically hold it and they learn quick it does not feel good to be trapped in so they stop going.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts