Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loud and rambunctious.

Max wanted to play the entire time. He got rough with many dogs after playing for quite a while. He'd bark most the time if he wasn't playing with another dog. The trainer said he was very dominant. The funny thing is most the time he doesn't bark at home unless he wants out of the bathroom/lonely/bored. The barking when we leave the room is practically gone and he barks sparingly at the cats.

Could it be excitement over all the other puppies? He's played with some dogs before but not for more than a few minutes. I really hope that next time will be better. The trainer would shake a can when it got really bad. Next time, I'm going to play or walk him before we go. Although for the last few days, he's been really, really, really antsy/nippy/loud. Definitely going to have to start walking him a bit farther from now on to burn more energy.

On the good hand, after hearing an "official" trainer saying the things I've been trying to implement, John "gets" it. Hmmph. I'm still trying to get him to read The Puppy Whisperer. Small successes though!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
My 6 mos puppy barked all through class. He knew the behaviors, so he wanted to play. I wouldn't let him play, so he gave me back talk (he still does).

I don't think it is dominance to want to play, just not yet learning the rules. If he gets too rough, as judged by the playmate, then remove him for 15 - 30 seconds to let him calm down. If the other dogs follow when you remove him, then they don't think it is too rough. In any case, I think it is a terrific idea to let your pup play with other dogs. Try to find at least one match for his energy, and arrange a play-date...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We didn't do many hands on other than puppy interactions. She showed us things to work on this week but nothing concrete to do other than play. So, thinking back, maybe that's why all he wanted to do was play? Around the end, I finally sat on the floor and started to make him go through sit-down, sit-down, etc to calm him a bit until a dog came over to investigate him which started the whole thing up again. He doesn't seem to know how to calm down unless he's about to fall asleep. Even then, if a cat comes near him, he'll perk up just to see if she might play.

It's really nice to hear that my husband started to work with him on the "watch me" thing when I was sleeping. Until he knew I had taught Max a trick, he wouldn't train him on anything. My husband also agrees that he doesn't think it's a dominant issue either. He just wants to play and play and play. I remember he was probably the most rambunctious one out of the litter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today was our second class. When walked him before we left, when we got to Petsmart, I walked him up around the shops and then some inside the store. Since we were early, he was able to sniff around the training area. He was much, much better. The trainer bragged on him. I think it also helped him that the dogs weren't right beside him and I stayed on the ground with him to help him focus. We focused on walking and not jumping on people. He hardly barked and waited for me to treat him as he laid down in front of him (we've been working on down all week). I also came packing with many, many different treats, an "emergency kong", kibble and toys. Not that we needed most of it. He's just a very energetic puppy. And I realized today that some of his biting may be due to not having a mom early on. We don't know when he was taken from his mother. I think the litter was either dumped or something right after weaning. It's making me have a bit more patience with it thinking of it like that.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
One suggestion is to let him play, call him every few minutes (or go get him), make him sit, down, stay , then let him go back and play as a reward, teaching him behaviors, distractions, and delayed gratification ... not my suggestion, Dunbar's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One suggestion is to let him play, call him every few minutes (or go get him), make him sit, down, stay , then let him go back and play as a reward, teaching him behaviors, distractions, and delayed gratification ... not my suggestion, Dunbar's.
I saw that this week and I've been trying it at home more. He gets so overexcited that he starts nipping even worse (drawing blood). I told John about it but when we go to puppy class the husband assumes control of the puppy. I think playing the magnet game has helped. He's starting to 50% sit/lay without being told if he sees me in the big chair because when I come home from work, I magnet game him to sit/lay while facing me. Since I was sitting on the floor with the puppy, I think he was thinking it was just like home and I'm on the computer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts