Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted Andy from an animal rescue in late November. He always has easily gone in & out to the fully fenced in backyard when he will run around, play, and go pee & poop.

Another (bigger) dog moved in next door to us (only separated by a picket fence) and ever since Andy has been skiddish about going outside. He'll still do it though. Today, however he wouldn't go out at all. In fact, he hasn't been out for nearly 24hours now. We had errands throughout the afternoon so we didn't even take him to the dog park. He hasn't gone to the bathroom all day.

Not sure if he stopped going outside b/c of the other dog or b/c it was raining today, but is it normal to not go out all day? At one point my husband picked him up and put him out in the grass (he's 70lbs!) and as soon as my husband turned around to come inside, Andy followed. What should we do?

He is usually outside all the time, and he has eaten/drank normal today. Not sure how he is holding it....

·
Registered
962 Posts
NO, it is absolutly not normal for a your dog not to relieve himself for twentyfour hours. Have you checked the house for signs? If he has total freedom in the house, check good, I have a black light to look for urine.

If your dog is 70lbs, that other dog must be huge, and have you noticed if the other dog has tried to intimidate your dog in their first few meetings?

First I would try to close off (fill in)the fence facing your side completely for starters. and make it six foot high if its not. If it is not your fence build your own.

This is sad you have your own fenced in yard and your dog is afraid to go outside, You have not noticed alot of bees or wasp in your yard? You may have to spend some time out in the yard with your dog and try and get him interested in playing some games. When he goes to the door ignore it and try and coax him back with some really good treats only used for this problem. You will have to spend more time with him, even tak him for walks, and then walk him in the yard as well. What really makes a dog go, is the smell other dogs leave behind. So if he is not going you may have to take himoutside the fence to encourage pooping & peeing, until this is resloved. But taking your dog for walks should be a daily activity. Good Luck, and hug your dog:)

One last thought, a trip to the vet, may be good, just in case of a medical problem?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
as soon as my husband turned around to come inside, Andy followed. What should we do?
For now, stay out there with him. Play some games and have some fun with him to make good associations with the back yard that will overcome the scary dog next door. Can the other dog get over the picket fence?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts