Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

Our dog is screaming when any woman touch him or hold him. If any man takes him, then no problem.

Check out our video we just made a few minutes ago and let us please know if you have any idea how to fix it.

Thank you.

Peter

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'd stop holding a dog so uncomfortable that close to my face, for starters. I've heard of dogs having a gender aversion before, although usually it's through mistreatment. Do you know the history of the dog?

Condition him to associate women with good things. Don't try to hold him, start by having a woman walk past and drop something tasty for him. Make sure it's something high-value like hot dog slices or chicken. You can gradually move on to having him take a treat from a woman's hand, and then give him treats when he's comfortable in a woman's lap. Take it slow and try to have multiple women do this.

Scaring him by holding him like that is just going to reinforce his negative associations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't know his history, but we found him when he was 1 month.

He is 6 months now.

We do have another dog. She is 10 months. There is no problem with her.

Another this is that he pees when my girlfriend is alone with him in the room or home. We are having doors always open from our home.

He doesn't pee when I am with him. He goes outside.

Peter

·
Registered
647 Posts
My dog has the opposite issue. He adores children, he warms up easily to women but only few men has been able to pet him. He cries and hides and if I'm not around to protect him, he'll pee himself. It's a past trauma thing. I encourage him to go towards men he trusts and some men around town make efforts (i.e. bringing him a treat every day), but he has yet to get over it.

It's just a slow process and pushing him towards men too much could actually do more harm than good. Maybe with time....

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
What is being shown in the video is likely making the problem much worse and is setting up a face bite.

Many normal dogs would HATE that much hugging and contact.

Move SLOWLY and give this dog space. If you keep forcing contact on the pup, I am confident that he will escalate in his resistance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What is being shown in the video is likely making the problem much worse and is setting up a face bite.

Move SLOWLY and give this dog space. If you keep forcing contact on the pup, I am confident that he will escalate in his resistance.
I totally agree with this. The dog is trying to tell you he's uncomfortable and instead of listening, you allow the interaction goes on and on. This is sort of interaction makes many dogs feel "weird", many dogs really don't like hugging and face to face contact.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Hugging is a huge no no with dogs. Very few dogs are okay with it at all. He's a nice little guy not biting, a lot of dogs would.

Stop the hugging. Just stop it. It's not necessary at all.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Why do you keep putting the dog near your face? It clearly does not like that. He/she is growling to warn you that it is too much contact, and if you don't listen to it, they will eventually bite.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Why is she encouraging the dog to growl at her? He is very clearly telling her he does not like what she is doing. She is really lucky that the dog has not bitten her. Don't let her do that to the dog or she is going to get bitten and the dog will be blamed for it. The dog has given her lots of warning and she is ignoring it so the next step is for the dog to bite her to get her to stop.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Ditto. You're definitely setting the dog up for failure.

Besides ... I would do much worse than growl if someone did that to me ... It's not a stuffed animal, it's a living, breathing being with feelings of it's own. How in the world can you think that is "cute" or even okay?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all.

Thank you for your answers.

The problem is not just hugging. He can be on the floor next to her, she can just touch him with hand and he will do the same.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Of course he will ... I would too if someone sometimes held me against my will. I'd be terrified that she'd hold me like that again.

You need to take a deep breath and consider that the dog is actually a living being with feelings of his own. It's not a little furry person who, even though he can't speak, understand English perfectly and knows you do it out of love ... it's a dog and you need to start treating him as one. At this stage she should just throw him a treat ever so often and ignore him until he comes to her. Give him time to realize that she's not going to force herself on him again, but just come with treats and toys ... whichever works best with him.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I wonder how this started, sometimes with pups things they do are cute. Or at least they seem cute to new owners but when the pup turns into an adult bad things can happen.

This is another one of those "Dr, my shoulder hurts when I raise it over my head, what can I do to stop pain" Dr says quietly "Stop raising arm over head" Need I go further.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My dog is not fond of children, so I don't expose her to children unless I know it's going to be a positive experience--that's for the safety of the child and the sanity of my dog.

As others have suggested, you need to go SLOW. In my dog's case, a trauma with some neighbor kids during one of her fear stages set her up to be scared of kids. I'm not sure I could have prevented it (I had to take her out of my apartment to use the bathroom and those kids came running from around the corner very suddenly), but now that it's happened I need to deal with it. Something involving a woman that you may not think would be scary may have happened to your dog at some point, and your dog thought it was scary. Now that it's happened, you need to work with your dog to help him overcome his fear, and the suggestions already made in this thread are a good start.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Is it all women, or just your girlfriend, who is the female he spends the most time with? I can't see the video right now, because it's blocked at work, but it sounds like, from what others say, that she is not respecting the dog's space and boundaries. Many dogs don't like to be cuddled, especially against their will. If the dog is peeing when your girlfriend is alone with him, it could be fear/submissive peeing.

Our older ACD mix does not like to be hugged/snuggled/cuddled. She loves to have me pet her and rub her belly, but I wouldn't dream of hugging her or restricting her (that's how she sees it!) physically in any way. Our 9 month old BC mix likes it to a point, she'll come up and get in peoples' laps, but my 9 year old son pushes it too far, in his exhuberence, and she will growl at him. It's not the dog's fault, she's reached her limit, boy needs to back off. He knows that, most of the time he remembers, but he needs reminders.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The dog is being restrained and pestered, good on him for NOT biting her in the face, she's asking for it to happen.

Tell her to NOT restrain the dog, drop treats as instructed and otherwise leave the dog alone. If the dog wants attention and comes to her for a pet, fine, but don't force the issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts