Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We adopted a male Golden Retriever one year ago. We then adopted a male German Shepherd in February of this year. They both turned one in September of this year. Most of the time they play with no problems. Sometimes it looks a little rough, but no fighting. I noticed that my Golden Retriever will snarl and growl at the German Shepherd sometimes and then they will jump on each other and fight. There is usually no blood (only once when the Golden's foot pad was bleeding)just terrible growling and thrashing. I think they are competing for top dog. My daughter's 3 year old black Lab mix also lives with us. He is top dog and the other two respect that. I do not know how to stop the younger dogs from fighting. Help!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It's really difficult to give any advice without seeing it, but I do think you should get the help of a professional. They can evaluate the dogs and figure out what may be triggering the fights, and then develop a training plan from there.

Until then, make sure they are under strict supervision when they are together, and when you can't supervise, they should be crated or separated from each other. If things get too rough, separate them immediately. If you see one dog staring at the other, separate them immediately.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
German Shepherds play very differently from Golden Retrievers. As herding dogs they tend to grab the neck and Retrievers do not understand that play at all.

Dogs playing can sound really rough. I do not know what you are seeing (play or actual fighting). I can tell you that most males will not do real damage unless a female is around. Most does not mean all and so there is that.

Staring, stiff tail with only the end wagging, lowered head.. all signs of fight about to begin. You see that, change the conversation.

I do not know how you feed the dogs. Feed them in separate places where they cannot see each other. So many people feed dogs next to each other in a row.. and that alone can create competition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts