Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I go to a dog park almost everyday and there is this one problem dog there that is not neutered. He keeps humping one of my dogs and I want to find a way to stop this. The owner of this dog is unresponsive to my concerns. I noticed that this problem dog when attempting to hump this one other dog at the dog park was responded with fierce snapping to which he stopped and moved on to his next sexual predator. I would like to train my dog to attack only and specifically when other dogs try to hump him. I do not want to hear that I have to train my dog to bark and growl at this dog because he already does this and this problem dog is relentless. Yes, I understand what you guys are trying to say. Sadly, the rules at my dog park are not enforced and my dog is unable to enjoy the dog park by this type of activity. I would like to find a way that my dog can give a warning bite to this problem dog that humps him. I have another dog and this problem dog was humping him, however he snapped at the dog (without hurting it) and moved on to the next dog which was sadly my dog as well. Again I do not want my dog to be a vicious animal, I just want to train him to attack only in this specific case. Any help I could get would be GREAT!

Thank You

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
So you want your dog to hurt another dog when its not the dogs fault, but the owners. That is not right at all. If you dont like what the other dog is doing to your dog then leave. Simple as that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does your dog park have rules about those using it being neutered? All of the ones I have attended do and I would politely point this out to the owner and ask them to get their dog fixed if they want him to enjoy the park with all the owners who follow the rules. There really isn’t anything you can do to enforce it though. We have issues with our dog park here as well and sometimes you have to just learn to take a deep breath and ignore something if it’s not harming anyone. If it is in a housing community and it’s a rule you can attempt to go through them and if not you can suggest it. The fact is though, it happens. Dogs hump other dogs in our play group all the time, and they are all fixed. We just interrupt it and go on with the day.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Why don't you just drag the other dog off your dog? If your dog isn't able to step up and have the other dog understand it isn't pleasant, the least you can do is do it yourself?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
That post makes more sense now, sorry I snapped but what you wrote before wasnt nice for anyone involved. Sadly a lot of people who go to the dog park encounter this behavior whether the dog is fixed or not. It doesn't really come down to training your dog to snap back but rather the nature of the dog. Some dogs who are more (bad word) dominant will not tolerate it and will snap and other more timid submissive dogs will just take it or give a warning but aren't the kind of dog to snap and say no. My dog is the dog who wont do anything and will take it. I know how frustrating it is sitting there watching your dog get humped and no matter what you do your dog wont do a thing and the other dog is just annoying. So the only thing you really can do is break it up and keep breaking it up until the other owner gets the picture. You may be able to train it but I really don't know, that's not my area of expertise.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
do like my sister did w/ a dog that wouldn't leave her girl alone....after calmly/gently trying to get the dog to go away about 10 times, she finally grabbed the collar of the "offending" dog (hers was always just a couple ft away, trying to get away from the dog) and roughly pulled it away and said, quite loudly, "Leave her the hell alone!!!!"....the owner was standing about 5' away and said, "You don't have to be so mean...it's just what dogs do." well, sorry, not w/ ours (and not ours....i won't tolerate it from mine, either) so keep your dog in line.....or, if you are carrying your leash(es), flick them in the dogs face if you're afraid of getting bit by the other dog (and sorry if that makes others here mad....it's better then being bit)
you shouldn't have to leave the park b/c of some other idiot not controlling there dog, neutered or un-neutered.....

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would like to train my dog to attack only and specifically when other dogs try to hump him. . . . Again I do not want my dog to be a vicious animal, I just want to train him to attack only in this specific case.
This is idiotic. Sounds harsh, but there you have it.
If your dog doesn't want to be humped, he will get the other dog off him. If the dog persists, then go remove the dog from yours. Don't just sit there and watch your dog be aggravated, do something about it. Training your dog to attack other dogs is just flat out not a good idea and if you try it, you're likely to end up in a lot of trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts