1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thanks so much for posting that. I've used frontline and Advantix before but I've been feeling apprehensive about using it this summer for some reason. I think i will try to find something else.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Frontline and Advantix are ok to use, it's the stuff like Hartz drops or Bio Spot that you need to be careful of.

Thanks for the link. I'm had a cat that lost a lot of hair to Hartz drops. I've know of their dangers for many many years. I still am shocked they are on the market today.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I wanted to find out which flea meds to watch out for, so I did a search on Pyrethrins. I found a website that lists the chemicals used in flea products. K9 Advantix is on the list of products that use Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids (permethrin, phenothrin, etofenprox, fenvalorate), which are the chemicals discussed in the clip.
The website is here.
So beware! Assuming this website is correct, Advantix does contain these chemicals.

For flea and tick prevention, I usually use safer natural products like shampoos and sprays containing NEEM oil and sometimes other essential oils (eucalyptus, cedar, citronella, rosemary, etc.), which work very well. When I occasionally get a flea outbreak I use Frontline.

(Note: people should take care when using essential oils with cats, or not use them at all -- I'm not sure because different sources say different things.)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always used Frontline Plus on all my pets (dogs and cats) and have never had a problem. I work for a vet and have seen what the other products, bio-spot, hartz, etc. can do to pets. In fact my daughter (who should have know better) applied hartz to her boyfriend's cat. Cat almost died thank goodness they had enough sense to wash the product off with Dawn and get to E-vet. The cat survived. I'm not a fan of natural products have used the fly spray for my horses and it just doesn't work. But that is jmo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for posting that, I know my mom uses the store bought stuff on her persian cats and they get ill on it! I will have to inform her not to use it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts