Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Looking for help and guidance….
My beloved 6 year old cane corso was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in the front right leg. There is no visible signs that it has spread to lungs. She is 144lbs and has some arthritis in the rest of her legs. I’m deeply concerned that the weight of the remaining legs will absorb after amputation plus the recovery from amputation is all in vein. Given the amount of life, I was told to expect after chemo. I broke my back 2 years ago which Italia helped immensely in an emotional way to get through the trauma. I’m physically unable to carry her up and down stairs. As it stands right now, I still try. My heart is broken, what would be the best option for her not to suffer? The physical procedures and quite frankly the financial cost, all for a few months that are not even guaranteed. Help guys! What do I do?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am so very sorry you are facing this.

These are the questions I would ask the vet:

How much time do you think we have if we do nothing and keep her comfortable until such time as she is obviously suffering and then ease her out of pain through euthanization?

How much time do you think we will gain if we amputate her leg and do chemotherapy?

I have a very practical vet (I love my vets!). I had an animal with cancer and he was straight forward. He said we can operate and cause you animal to suffer through recovery and cost you quite a lot of money and you will get 6 months.

He said we can treat with (he named a course of action) and cost you a lot less money and a lot less suffering for the animal and you might get 120 to 180 days (about the same amount if time).
I elected the palliative option. I actually got a year and the only suffering was my broken heart.

I wish you the very best in your decision which only you can make.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It's okay not to take every "heroic measure" to prolong her life. People who are terminally ill generally treasure every last hour, as an opportunity to tie up loose ends, seek closure, and prepare themselves for the end of life. They are able to understand that suffering due to the disease progression and/or the treatments is the cost of that. Dogs don't have that sense of the future, they live only in the moment. They don't need an extra month or day to say goodbye. They need only to be kept comfortable and happy, and to feel loved and safe. Whatever you choose to do, don't be hard on yourself for making reality-based choices with regard to finances and mobility. You aren't letting her down by being practical. The only bad choices in these circumstances are those that allow unnecessary suffering and I can tell from your post that you love her very much and wouldn't allow that for her.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update…. I decided to amputate the leg, to squeeze more life with my dog. It was not noticeable in her lungs, her joint and ligaments showed they were able to sustain that extra load once the leg was off, through multiple X-ray. Now we are adjusting to life as a trip-pawd. here is a short video.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts