Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am a new dog owner with an estimated 3 month old female Maltese weighing a nudge over 3lbs?? I've had her for about a little over 3 weeks and doing the online research about the best pup food I can give to her. I inquired at a local pet store and they recommended D.Van Pattens Natural Balance Original Ultra Small Bites, she did not like it and ended up eating the food for the cats? So I went to PetSmart and they recommended the Bil-Jacs puppy food, she seem to like it, but did some further research on it and read some bad stuff on it. After doing some more research I found several different highly reviewed pup food, such as Canidae, Orijen, Wellness, etc... I noticed that majority of these high brand dog food aren't available at PetSmart and had to go to the food makers website to find a carrier of their brand. I finally found a pet store that was a gold mine for high brand pet food, they carried all the dog food that I had found to be highly regarded. I went ahead and purchased the Orijen Puppy formula, then I read that the protein content may be too high for her? I then read another post on this site that too much protein for a pup is just a myth?? I'll look into that later.. Anyways, she enjoys the Orijen and finishes her serving completely compared to the other brands I have given her. I'll just have to see how she does on it? I just wanted some opinions about Orijen and is this the right route to go with her? Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Orijen is a good food and I would feel really good about feeding it. It's not available in my area and I don't want to buy it online so I feed Innova but Orijen was actually my first choice. The only concerns I've heard regarding Orijen (and several other high end kibbles) is for large breed puppies which obviously doesn't apply to you.

As long as she continues to eat it and do well I wouldn't worry at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mojo, one other thing that I've noticed is that her stomach growls at she is done eating? Is this just something that her stomach needs to acclimate to due to trying a new kibble? She has shown no signs of a bad interaction such as vomiting or diarrhea? I'll just keep an eye on her. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts