Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if it´s OK to feed my 4 moth old yorkshire terriers this kibble?
We´ve tried it,and the size iof the kibble works,they seem to really like it,and I LOVE what I´ve read about Orijen.

We did try Acana puppy small breed,but they wanted NOTHING to do with it at all,so Orijen was my net choice and I hope this works out.

It says that it´s for all life stages and all breeds (very handy),it´s grain free,and all the reviews I´ve read are wonderful..but can a dog survive on fish? (is that a silly question? lol)

Any and all opinions would be greatly apreciated :)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Go for it. Orijen is a very good food. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for it. Orijen is a very good food. :)
Thank you :)
So even if its the fish formula,it´s ok? Will no meat be a problem? I chose the fish formula because mine are picky eaters,and I was always having to put salmon oil on their food to get them to eat it.Orijen Fish formula smells like fish oil as it is,so I guessed they´d really like it.

I dont supposed you know how their stools will be on this? This is what worries me all the time.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Well, from a nutritional standpoint fish is meat, so you don't have any issue there. I usually rotate through as many different protein sources as I can find-- fish, chicken, beef, venison, duck, turkey, etc. This can help prevent your dog from developing intolerances to a certain ingredient from feeding it every single day for years and years.

How well your dog does on the food really depends on the dog so you'll just have to test it out. Be sure to transition very slowly. It's a pretty rich food and can give some dogs loose stools if they transition too quickly. If your dog has loose stool for longer than say a week, you can experiment with feeding a bit less food. It's higher in calories than most other foods and overfeeding any food can cause upsets.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Orijen is a very good food, and you could rotate through the flavors, as long as your dog doesn't have any food sensitivities. Acana also comes in a grain free, which your dog may like better, and it's less expensive than Orijen. Many stores carry a small sample bag you could try.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be sure to transition very slowly.
We are trying to do this,but they were on Acana (which is what we´re mixing the Orijen with) and they hated it,so they´re picking out the peices of Orijen! o.0 They´re making the transition pretty much cold turkey..I´m going to keep my fingers crossed and hope it´s ok.

Orijen is a very good food, and you could rotate through the flavors, as long as your dog doesn't have any food sensitivities.
If they do OK on this one,I´ll deffinately do that :) Milo is a little more sensitive than Bella..he gets lose stool pretty easily,so we´ll see.

Acana also comes in a grain free, which your dog may like better, and it's less expensive than Orijen. Many stores carry a small sample bag you could try.
I´ll take a look,yes,it is quite a bit cheaper.Thank you! :)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
We are trying to do this,but they were on Acana (which is what we´re mixing the Orijen with) and they hated it,so they´re picking out the peices of Orijen! o.0 They´re making the transition pretty much cold turkey..I´m going to keep my fingers crossed and hope it´s ok.
I wouldn't worry about it. If they have loose stools from it you can give them some pumpkin to help. I usually transition my dog cold turkey or close to it and she doesn't have any issues because her body is used to it. But if your dogs do it's normal...just know that it's not an issue with the food if they do. You'll just have to give them time to adjust.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't worry about it. If they have loose stools from it you can give them some pumpkin to help. I usually transition my dog cold turkey or close to it and she doesn't have any issues because her body is used to it. But if your dogs do it's normal...just know that it's not an issue with the food if they do. You'll just have to give them time to adjust.
Oh I didnt think of pumpkin ;) Thank you for reminding me :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts