Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orijen causing bad gas !

39K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Joannasssss 
#1 ·
Well I figured this may interest a few people here.. I own a 15 month old Dogue De Bordeaux named George... I adopted George in mid November, I started him on Eagle Pack Holistic, then after some research I decided to switch to Orijen ... After reading about the high quality ingredients I figured it would be a good move for my Dogue.. Unfortunately after 2 months of Orijen I have decided to switch to another food... Everything seems to be great with the Orijen, George's fur looks amazing, silky soft with a beautiful sheen , George has excelent energy, firm stools...However he has the most rancid farts you could possibly imagine, we are talking a stench so bad that several people have actually gagged and nearly vomited... This is the most eye watering, paint peeling gas I have ever encountered... And unfortunately this flatulence was almost non stop.... George is a big cuddler but he stunk so badly nobody wanted to sit with him, heck most of the time he didn't want to sit with himself either... Sometimes he would blow one so bad that he would stare at his own rear in amazement, almost like he was shocked something so foul came out of him..... I have read that as a breed the DDB are prone to gas, however I found it hard to believe his gas was normal........ Anyways I decided to try a new food, I switched to Acana Lamb and apple and even tho its only been about 1 week there has already been a dramatic decrease in the amount of gas and the potency of the gas...George now maybe passes wind 3 times a day that I notice, on Orijen it honestly seemed like 2 to 3 times per hour...... All I can say is thank god the gas was from the food ! I honestly couldnt imagine living with George the way he was on Orijen...... Has anyone else had any experiences like this with certain foods ?

See less See more
#2 ·
This hasn't happened to me, but I don't think this is uncommon (take that double negative, Mrs. Lind!). Every dog is different, and they will often react differently to the same foods; that's why, even within the same brand, you will have different formulations.

I wouldn't get so caught up in the idea of getting the 'best' food; once you get away from the corn/meat byproduct stuff, the differences in quality are at the margins. There is no such thing as a 'best' food, only 'better' and 'right'. Orijen is better than, say, Nutro, but it wasn't better than Eagle Pack in your case, and it clearly wasn't the right food.

#3 ·
Hi, my 5 mo mini-schnauzer has been on Orijen Puppy for 2 months and he does have some serious gas issues as well. It has improved but not gone away and there are still times when he farts constantly (almost every minute) for a 30 minute period. He's also taking less interest in Orijen lately where he doesn't eat right away. It is weird because he used to go ballistic over it at every feeding time. I'm thinking about changing his food for both reasons.

Does anyone think that the gas is due to the food being too rich and I should move off grain-free or should I try another grain-free? I have noticed a lack of grain-free products specifically for puppies. I know some are all life stages but shouldn't puppies be getting food high in DHA and aren't puppy-specific foods easier to digest?

Other grain free options that are easy for me to get are Evo, Instinct, and Before Grain.
To get off grain-free I'm considering Innova Puppy or Merrick Puppy.

if anyone has input I'd appreciate it.

thanks

#4 ·
Some dogs do tend to have terrible gas with high protein high fat dog food. You could try a lower protein version of a similar food for example Acana. Some dogs just can't take so much concentrated foods.

All mine are on Orijen and have absolutely no problems with gas or stool. If you are having problems and you've already gone through the adjusting period (4-6 weeks) then you should probably try a different food.

#6 ·
My 7 month old toy poodle also had horrendous, seemingly non-stop gas on Orijen as well. I have to say your vivid description which I can identify with was hilarious!

I switched his food to Wellness puppy and he's doing great on it. Those gas bombs are a thing of the past (now just tolerable farts once in a while) and he poops less as well. When he was on Orijen, it seemed like he was pooping out just as much of it as he ate which surprised me because he was extremely healthy, had nice growth and packed on quite a bit of muscle during the 2 months I had him on Orijen.

Just about 2 weeks into Wellness, he already seems to have grown tired of the taste. He's starting to leave food in his bowl and I have to wet the kibble to help him eat it. He never got tired of Orijen, in fact he always got so excited before mealtimes and sucked it up like a Dyson.

#9 ·
I would bet my bottom dollar you were overfeeding on orijen. Orijen has 470 kcal/cup, Acana Lamb 390, so if you switched to Acana and kept feeding the same amount, that is why the flatulence stopped, not because Orijen is "too rich." I have seen this hundreds of times when someone switches to a high quality dog food and keeps feeding the same amount as a lesser quality. Eagle Pack is also lower in calories than Orijen so that is probably why the flatulence stopped when you switched to Eagle Pack. Flatulence and loose stools (assuming the dog does not have parasites or is not sick) is almost a sure sign of overfeeding.

#11 ·
I'm brand new here- joined today. I was searching for just what you are describing-'orijen gas', because I have the same problem with Max. He is a 9 week 1/2 Boston Terrier and 1/2 Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I have had him on Orijen Puppy for a week. They list his age and weight on the panel. His gas is so horrible- you describe it perfectly (and humorously- thanks for the laugh this a.m.). I was wondering if this is something that will go away if he stays on it awhile longer or if it sounds like he needs to change to something else.

I also wanted to know if since he has been on this one for a week, how slowly would I need to introduce another food - something similar but with less protein, which it sounds like he might handle better.

#12 ·
I'm brand new here- joined today.
I also wanted to know if since he has been on this one for a week, how slowly would I need to introduce another food - something similar but with less protein, which it sounds like he might handle better.
Welcome to the forum! I would give it 4-6 weeks to see if this changes, it can take that long to know. If you decide to change, I would change over a one week period.

#15 ·
Glad you said this, not that Jackson has gas but "I think it's a great food, just didn't work for us". I get so tired sometimes when someone says a food is crap because ______- (fill in the blank). All dogs are different! What's he on now, Acana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.