Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heys raw feeders I had this idea.. we have been seeing this question a lot.. and as a newer feeder myself and owner to one of those threads was thinking maybe we could sticky it?

Organ types

Muscle meats

cartalige parts

OK cuts

NOT OK cuts

This could be used as a guide line for newbies.. so we can aviod the dangers liek chops and certain beef bones.. And give us an idea what "types" of cuts to get going in our freezers...

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
There are lots of raw feeding lists and groups that have this info....Plus, there is quite a bit of debate about what and how to feed. We will give weight bearing bones to most of our dogs. Other folks won't. Who's right or wrong can be debated. The varying size of dogs alone makes certain cuts/bones appropriate for one but not appropriate for another.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
On ground beef, what fat content is acceptable? I know they range all over the place, but what's good for the dog?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
On ground beef, what fat content is acceptable? I know they range all over the place, but what's good for the dog?
The more fat the better. Since you don't feed carbs with a raw diet, dogs need the extra fat for energy. And it keeps their coats glossy. But it can make them runny when they first start out. I would buy ground round or ground chuck at first, and then transition to regular ground beef.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay.. can you list some common organs though that are often confused..
like beef heart as an organ.. its a muscle meat right?
gibblits are a muscle.. right?

I guess i could have posed that question better

liver, kidney, lungs, spleen, pancreas, trachea - those are organs

what is green tripe considered?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
okay.. can you list some common organs though that are often confused..
like beef heart as an organ.. its a muscle meat right?
gibblits are a muscle.. right?

I guess i could have posed that question better

liver, kidney, lungs, spleen, pancreas, trachea - those are organs

what is green tripe considered?
Tripe and trachea are definitely fed as meat although trachea is mostly cartilage. Lung isn't too important nutritionally but is organ. Gizzards and heart are really great meats.

Liver is IT as far as organ, one half total organ needs to be some sort of liver, a variety is best. Spleen and kidney are also very important and pancreas and sweetbreads are other organs. I don't think the last two are all that important and feed kidney and liver. If I could find spleen I would be using it.

Brain is an organ and if you can find and stomach feeding it it is high in Vitamin E and Omega 3!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Yum! brains for dinner! lol thanks! you clairified that beautifully!
So if you get a gibblet combo - how do you serve it? as a meat or an organ?

See i bought the gibblet combo - didn't think it looked to "combod" so I added a little liver (my dogs first time with organ meat) and whamo! explosion butts! I didn't even give them an ounce of organ meat! well unless the gibblet combo was infact mixed with organ meat.. and last night we bought more gibblet combo (.69 per lb) BUT 2 of the packages looked like all organ meat and no gibblet... so im a little confused with the gibblet part..

i found a supplier who sells hearts and i was thinking i would drive down and meet her this weekend...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I know they're not supposed to eat pork chops, but why is that? Is it the bone?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Thanks. Because if I found a really good deal on chops, I could just cut the bone out and use the meat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts