Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have got our puppy to SIT now all the time. I would like to start training other commands but am unsure which order is most important. I imagine STAY would be next.....anyone have any advice of order, and tips on getting a puppy to learn them?

With sit I was told to move the treat over their head as I said SIT, so they'd naturally get into the sit position as the treat is directly over them. This worked great but I have no idea how to get the idea of STAY to sink in.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Stay is one of the hardest things to learn but, you can start on working on it at anytime. A puppy 'Stay' will only last a couple of seconds so, don't put alot of effort into it at this point.
The usual first commands are Sit, Down, Come, Stand, Stay and Heel (walk nicely at your side with a loose leash...not a competition heel).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say DOWN are you referring to the puppy laying down, or is that for a jumping puppy to stop jumping up.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The Down is a lay Down. The Off command is used for getting off furniture and jumping but, if you don't want jumping in the first place, you don't use the Off command (you teach no jumping so that you never have to say OFF).

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You might want to look over this page. It's got some great suggestions for basic (and advanced) training.

Levels

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Let me just say that the Levels are great!!! I'm currently working through them with all 3 of the dogs. (Bandit is working on Level 2, Willow has just passed Level 1, Jasper is just starting out). I think it's a terrific way to organize training in a logical way that sets the dog up to succeed.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I want to cry!

Oh why, oh why had I not seen this before!

Donatello knows, sit, laydown, shake, high-five, dance, and now sit-handsome... He has a "so-so" recall and can "so-so" stay. He's learning self-control, slowly, he doesn't make mad-dashes for the couch anymore, and when I'm beside him always sits and awaits a finger-command before jumping up on the sofa, same when we're climbing into a vehicle... But damn if I wish I hadn't seen this months ago!

It would have helped Donatello with his emotional problems a long time ago! I've been so all over the place...

What should I do? Should I start over or what? : (

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have tried and tried and tried and tried and tried to teach Zero shake. He just doesn't get it. He's not a pawsy dog. I'd love to teach him some more tricks though I will definitely be checking the site out.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I want to cry!

Oh why, oh why had I not seen this before!

Donatello knows, sit, laydown, shake, high-five, dance, and now sit-handsome... He has a "so-so" recall and can "so-so" stay. He's learning self-control, slowly, he doesn't make mad-dashes for the couch anymore, and when I'm beside him always sits and awaits a finger-command before jumping up on the sofa, same when we're climbing into a vehicle... But damn if I wish I hadn't seen this months ago!

It would have helped Donatello with his emotional problems a long time ago! I've been so all over the place...

What should I do? Should I start over or what? : (
Are you talking about the Levels? If so, don't worry, you can start them at any time!! My story is similar to yours, I had Willow long before I learned about the Levels and her training was all over the place, too (with a lot of similar "so-so" responses). I just started with the Levels and if she already knew the behavior reliably, great; if not, I worked with her more.

Any training is beneficial, IMO - and it doesn't necessarily have to be in a particular order. I just like that the Levels organize skills so nicely, and gradually go up in difficulty. Look at it this way - your dog is probably already halfway through Level 1, and even knows the "bonus behaviors" (tricks) needed to pass further Levels.

I don't think it's a lost cause at all. You've obviously done such great work with Donatello and I'm sure he'll only continue to improve!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been trying to work on LAY DOWN for getting our puppy to lay down after a SIT. I've tried the suggestions of holding the treat in front of him, and then drawing it down to the floor and slightly away from him. He just puts his head down all the time and doesnt' seem to get down into a lay down position. Are there other techniques that anyones found may work better for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You can manipulate him by carefully. Here's a video.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts