Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After not having a pup in the house for about 16 years, we are adopting our rescue next Sunday. I know that the most important thing to teach her is her name. Along with that will be house training. I know that she will need to learn sit, stay, and come, along with NO (that's a biggie as far as I'm concerned. What do you think would be a good order to teach these in?

Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
You kinda have to teach "sit" before "stay". I've always trained "sit" before "come" but I think a logical case could be made for either as the first in the order.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I've never actually actively taught my dogs their names. It just sort of "happens" I guess, with consistently using the dogs name. In other words, I've never devoted an entire training period teaching them their names.

I've always started with 'sit'. It's easy to teach, the dogs normally pick it up fast and is a building block toward learning other commands. Important commands that every dog needs to know are sit, come, stay, leave it, down, etc...With Eddie and Uallis, I threw a little trick training in there as well to spice things up and make things fun...at least for me...haha ;)

Major things to concentrate on at first are whatever behavioral issues there may be. Housetraining, appropriate things to chew on, loose leash walking, no jumping...etc...however many things can be taught simultaneously such as behavioral training and obedience training.

The very first command I taught both of my dogs was sit...and then probably their recall, followed with down and then stay. I introduced one, worked on it heavily until they got the gist of it, although they may not have been 100% reliable with it, introduced another and worked on all of the them simultaneously.

Oh, one command I never thought to teach Eddie was "Up" and I regretted that later on and I remedied that with Uallis. It comes in handy on occasion, especially when he's sitting on my feet and I can't move...lol

I don't know...I'd just get a few dog training books and read up on it.
Congrats on your new addition! :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
There's not one right way to do things, but I tend to teach sit and come-when-I-call you first, followed by down and hand targeting (so I can use that to teach other things). Stays grow naturally out of sits and downs. I teach walking on a loose leash, leave-its, and attention/watch-me concurrently through all this, though. You can't have too many 3 minute training sessions in a day. :p

·
Registered
434 Posts
I always liked to teach the pup their name first, and work on eye contact. If your using a crate I'd teach the puppy their name, how to give you attention and a crate cue before I worked on a whole lot else. I know several people who don't even name behaviors until the pups do them predictably. Like waiting for your pup to sit before you open the door, it becomes an environmental cue, and you don't even have to tell them to sit.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm not sure on order, but I would suggest adding "watch me" and "leave it" to your list! It'll cut down on the number of times you need to say "NO." ;)

Also, I wouldn't recommend teaching "shake," at least not right away. I did that with Luna and now that's all she wants to do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts