Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So, I was wondering what shape your dog's poop are. Also, what shape do you think is best for the expression of the anal glands? Does it matter?

·
Registered
85 Posts
One of my dogs has to have his anal glands expressed every 6 weeks or so. The vet told me that it's about the firmness of the poop. That said, a firm poop should have the traditional shape and not look loose or like soft-serve ice cream.

Some dogs (like mine) just have problems no matter what the consistency.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
One of my dogs has to have his anal glands expressed every 6 weeks or so. The vet told me that it's about the firmness of the poop. That said, a firm poop should have the traditional shape and not look loose or like soft-serve ice cream.

Some dogs (like mine) just have problems no matter what the consistency.
Same as above ^ ...... ^ ....... ^ Leeo has had the same issues for almost 6 years and also goes every 6 weeks for gland expression ... I was told it is the firmness and not the shape. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you ever tried expressing their anal glands yourself? I saw a youtube video on it...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
My dogs glands are not situated in the normal position ... so the vet does it for me. I have tried ... poor guy probably needed prep-H after I was done.

If your dog has no deformities it would probably be much easier and less costly to do it yourself. :)

Also ... if your dogs glands get clogged often and not taken care of this can turn into bad skin infections and even worse.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have never done it myself either. I like to do it at the vet's since they can tell if there are any signs of infection (that and I don't have to smell it). A lot of dog groomers do it too (it's usually in they hygiene package or something similar to that), so maybe someone at your vet's office or a groomer can show you how in addition to the youtube video.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Most of the time small dogs have problems expressing their anal glands because they just don't have enough pressure with their little toots. BUT sometimes big dogs can if their stools are always soft.

Like it was mentioned above, stools should always be firm not soft. but even if that is the case if you own a small dog sometimes they need to have it expressed by the groomer or vet regardless of the firmness of the stools. and SOMETIMES this happens to bigger dogs too but its not as common.

·
Registered
438 Posts
A firmer stool can often be achieved through diet. Years ago I read online that some people reported that their dogs no longer had anal gland problems after switching to EVO dog food. It made their dog's stool much firmer. I'd thought I'd give it a try with my dog, and sure enough we went from getting them expressed every six weeks or so to never needing it done again. He'd always tended towards a softer stool but the change in food made them quite firm.

I think it is the amount of bone in EVO dry dog food. If you read the calcium levels for EVO it is quite high. So high that it is not recommended for growing medium and large breeds of dogs. (high calcium is not a problem for dogs that are done growing) So I'm thinking they must add a higher than average amount of bone to the food.

People who feed a raw diet also report that their dog's anal gland problems go away. In fact, too many raw meaty bones in the diet can cause the stool to become TOO firm and cause constipation. I've also heard that feeding a meal of raw meaty bones a couple times a week can do the trick.

Good luck!

P.S. If you do try EVO switch over gradually and use probiotics during the switch. This food is MUCH richer than other dog foods. Also make sure you are not overfeeding. EVO has 537 calories per cup so you will need to figure how much less to feed. Even if your dog is already on a premium food you often have to reduce by 30% or even more. Overfeeding or switching too quickly can cause intestinal upset and loose stools. :-(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts