Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads-up for anyone interested, Oprah's show will be about dogs tomorrow. Wed. 04/25/07

·
Registered
879 Posts
Cool what time and what channel? I never watch Oprah but I have the day off tomorrow....maybe I will have me a peak and see what all the fuss and hype is about.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll need to check your local tv guide for time and channel as the show is syndicated and airs on different networks at various times.

The synopsis says "smallest and tallest dogs; what Oprah feeds her dogs and a breakthrough method for misbehaving dogs, plus Oprah introduces her new dog coach.

Anybody know who it is?

I'll bet the breakthrough method is positive reward and attention for desireable behavior and to ignore bad behavior. Breakthrough to "O", that is!:D

It should be interesting. I'll be watching.

Set your dvr.

Best wishes,

DBZ

·
Registered
879 Posts
I will definitely tune in. I have never seen an episode of Oprah and most of my friends and co-workers watch it religiously. Some love her and others think she is irritating....I guess I will soon find out! Thanks for telling me.

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
I will definitely tune in. I have never seen an episode of Oprah and most of my friends and co-workers watch it religiously. Some love her and others think she is irritating....I guess I will soon find out! Thanks for telling me.
I have no interest in watching a person with more money than brains talk about her methods of dog training when she went to a known puppy mill and a person who had been suspended from the akc and has assumed numerous alias's to buy her dogs.....

nope nope nope
I couldn't stand Oprah before and I like her even less now.
S

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have no interest in watching a person with more money than brains talk about her methods of dog training when she went to a known puppy mill and a person who had been suspended from the akc and has assumed numerous alias's to buy her dogs.....

nope nope nope
I couldn't stand Oprah before and I like her even less now.
S
how did you know that she went to a puppy mill, did it make the news or something? i would think that someone with that much money would buy dogs from uberfamous breeders or something?

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
how did you know that she went to a puppy mill, did it make the news or something? i would think that someone with that much money would buy dogs from uberfamous breeders or something?
I belong to another list for people who have english type goldens such as the cream goldens she has.... after she adopted the three puppies..... there was a great deal of discussion on teh list about where she got them..... and alot of brouhaha and letter writing..... but yes we know where she got the pups and yes for someone with that much money you would have thought.... but $$ does not mean that one uses common sense.....

and the problem was that when all the public started seeing her puppies there was this great call for the rare "cream" golden just like oprahs.... we breeders of english type goldens cringed and waited for the fallout.... and it happened .... we started getting a ton of enquiries from people who wanted goldens just like oprahs.....

paris hilton goes to the petstore to buy her fashion accessories.... oprah goes to a puppy mill...... as I said having money doesn't mean anything....
s

·
Registered
172 Posts
does this mean she an Millan hace parted ways? for what I gather the person she works with now, is the polar opposite of Millan.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
does this mean she an Millan hace parted ways? for what I gather the person she works with now, is the polar opposite of Millan.
That's what I was wondering when I watched the show today.

As far as her Goldens, she refers to them as "white" Goldens when they're clearly light cream. :rolleyes: When they showed her picking up her three puppies at the breeder it was VERY obvious to me that the pups were backyard bred. They don't meet the standard at all. You'd think that a person with as much money and as many connections as Oprah would go to a responsible breeder, but nope. In fact I've noticed that most celebrities do one of two things- either buy a purebred from a backyard breeder or they rescue a mixed breed. It seems like there's nothing in between.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Personally, just because she has a lot of money and fame doesn't mean she knows any more or less than the average dog buyer out there. I cringed when my own brother called and told me they bought a dog from a pet store. Just happens to be a golden retriever, BTW...both hips dysplastic requiring surgery. We were raised to know better and I've been involved in conformation and agility for several years. But Oprah fell in love with the dog that the actress from Desperate Housewives had, probably asked her where she got the dog, and went to the same breeder. I don't think it's a question of choosing to do the right thing or not. I think she found a dog she liked, asked where it came from, and followed the trail to get her own dogs.

I was disappointed in the food segment though. If she went to all that trouble to get this reportedly great vet (also on his website "Martha's vet") all the way to Chicago they could have given more specific info about food. The average person would not know if the amount she was mixing is for one dog or all three. And the website they gave for more info (puppyworks.com) is a dead end. I didn't find anything I could use there either.

And I just want to know how they pulled strings to get that great dane in the cabin section of the airplane! Why didn't it have to ride as cargo in a crate when the rest of us are told that it has to fit under the seat or it has to go as cargo in a crate? Hmmmm....maybe I should call the Oprah show the next time I have to fly with my dog!!!

Interesting show but lacking in any substance, IMO.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I thought it was ok. The training part was good, but it was stuff many of us have been doing already. It looks like she does nilif. I couldn't really tell anything about the breeder of her dogs from what they showed. She was just inside someones house with the pups. It was almost like they were trying not to show too much, focusing just on Oprah and the dogs. The food part, well, I agree it was non specific. She didn't even seem to know what she was mixing. She asked the guy something like, "'is that sweet potato, oh, carrots". I bet she has someone come in and take care of her dogs like a dog nanny or something.

Her dogs are very pretty though. I can see why people would see hers and want one themselves.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I watched it! I didn't see the first 18 minutesbut she brought in the smallest and the biggest dogs according to guiness book of world records . Woot!:) Woo!

I like ita
I saw the very very end! She said bye, I saw the crdits and then I saw the worlds tallest dog that Great Dane! I wanted to watch it but thought I wouldnt have that channel! I guess I do (its kinda fuzzy)! Now I really want to see it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The highlight of the show for me was the world longest dog and the worlds smallest dog. Then they moved out of the way, so they could get a shot of both of them and the Great Dane starts sniffing the hind end of this little dog, and the poor little dog is just standing there shaking. The Great Dane seemed very mild mannered and nothing happened, but for a second or two it was quite funny.

If I may digress for a moment...Another funny scene from the Oprah show is when Paula Dean, the cook, was on. She was demonstrating how to make something and had the mixer going and dumping in the pre-measured ingredients from these glass dishes, when oops!! She dumped in the ingredient AND the glass dish... The front row had frosting swished across them and the glass dish was rattling around in the mixer. Paula, laughing heartily, unplugs the machine before the front row has glass swished across their smiling faces. No one was hurt, but man was it funny, they kept showing the front row just sitting there with frosting on their clothes and smiling faces.

Sorry, not on topic, but man was it funny. Oprah thought it was so funny she showed it again at the end of the show.

·
Banned
960 Posts
That's what I was wondering when I watched the show today.

As far as her Goldens, she refers to them as "white" Goldens when they're clearly light cream. :rolleyes: When they showed her picking up her three puppies at the breeder it was VERY obvious to me that the pups were backyard bred. They don't meet the standard at all. You'd think that a person with as much money and as many connections as Oprah would go to a responsible breeder, but nope. In fact I've noticed that most celebrities do one of two things- either buy a purebred from a backyard breeder or they rescue a mixed breed. It seems like there's nothing in between.
What difference does it make, if the dog's are light cream instead of white:confused: If they are nice dogs, isn't that what is important? And I applaud the celebrities that adopt rescues and give a dog that needs a home, a place to live. Why breed more and more dogs, when dogs are sitting in rescues and shelters with no place to live?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts