Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mom has a 3 year old english mastiff shes a beautiful dog but she should weigh more than she dose she is already a patete dog and we are having trouble putting weight on her and keeping it their we have tryed everything and her weight is really worrying my mom please let me know any sugestions you have.:wave:

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What are you feeding and how much/how often?

Has a vet seen her and checked for parasites and done a blood workup, especially checking thyroid levels?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure if they have checked her for parasites or done blood work she was at the vet a while back for i believe my mom said air in her belly and we feel her ol,roy and it is avalable all the time. we have 3 other dogs and they eat the same stuff

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A few considerations:

- Get a complete physical at the vet. Have "wellness" (many vets have a wellness profile) blood work done, assess her usual behaviors, the results of the blood work, her weight and discuss with the vet any additional testing that may be needed (thyroid comes to mind). Also what looks skinny (or overweight) to you may not be. You must take the whole dog into consideration - such as how the dog is "built" and how she is carrying the weight. Do check for parasites as well.
- Switch foods. Ol'Roy is horrible. You don't have to feed top of the line, crazy expensive food but something better than ol'roy. It may be part of the reason. See: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ I personally feed kirklands which is only $24 for a large bag (around here) however it is only sold at Costco.
- Google a recipe for satin balls. It is a recipe many people use to put weight on dogs, get their coats in better condition. It is only a short term fix but will assist in getting weight on her if she needs more calories.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Have you done the simple thing and checked her stools for worms? If she has them bad enough to visibly affect her weight, then they will likely show up in her stool. Vet will want a stool sample anyway.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ol Roy is not a quality food. It's basically a step up from sawdust.
Go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and find a 5 star or better food. If you have a Costco or Sams club, Kirklands is decent. Chicken Soup for the Dog is good and also fairly inexpensive. Taste of the Wild is a good Grain Free Food. Although all of these foods will be more money, you will end up feeding less, so it comes out a little less expensive. Also, having a healthy dog, will prevent vet bills in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my mom takes extreamly good care of jerzie(the dog) she has been checked for parasites,worms and quite a few other things shes saposed to weigh at least 150 but she only weighs 125

·
Registered
468 Posts
my mom takes extreamly good care of jerzie(the dog) she has been checked for parasites,worms and quite a few other things shes saposed to weigh at least 150 but she only weighs 125
Okay well clearly something thing else is wrong besides worms, and it is probably the food. Ol' Roy is full of ingredients that have no place in a dog's diet. Here is the breakdown of their ingredients. People here "oh that is a bad food" and sometimes don't understand why, so here is a really easy to read, short article explaining Ol' Roys unhealthy ingredients:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/ol-roy-dog-food-dry/

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Definitely switch her to a better food. Dogfoodadvisor.com has lists of 4 and 5 star foods that aren't that expensive. As someone else mentioned, you feed less of a better food. OlRoy is full of things dogs can't digest, like corn. So you have to feed a lot of it, and all the extra comes out as poop. Wellness, Kirkland, TOTW, etc. don't have filler, so you feed a lot less and there's no extra coming out. You feed less, have less poop to clean up and have a healthier dog.

Can we see a picture of Jerzie? One from the side with her standing, and one from the top with her standing, if possible.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
did the vet say she was under weight? ....do you have pictures?....could it be that she is just a smaller dog?

I agree the brand of dog food that your mom is feeding really could be causing the issues

·
Registered
468 Posts
Even if it isn't causing the issues, still switch. I guarantee that you will see a difference in her health.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
did the vet say she was under weight? ....do you have pictures?....could it be that she is just a smaller dog?
Pugmom has a point. Just because the breed standard is X lbs, doesn't mean each individual dog will weigh that. Some dogs will be under that, some will be over that and still be a healthy weight. That's why I asked for pictures. That would be a big help.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Pugmom has a point. Just because the breed standard is X lbs, doesn't mean each individual dog will weigh that. Some dogs will be under that, some will be over that and still be a healthy weight. That's why I asked for pictures. That would be a big help.
I completely agree with this! Caeda's breed standard is somewhere around 80-130lbs. She is 63lbs at 1 year and I doubt she'll gain more than an extra 10lbs by the time she finishes filling out. The vet says she is a strong and completely healthy dog, just very small for her breed.
I also agree with feeding something other than Ol Roy....seriously not a good food.
AND I second the request for pictures :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts