Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay Eris is only 4 weeks old. Someone is getting rid of their female jack russel who just weaned a litter of pups she is good with other dogs and puppies. I was thinking about taking her into my home. I think eris will benefit from her,she will get the lessons her own momma would of given her and be around another dog? The Jack russel is 5 years old and they are giving her away for free. What do you guys think? They are going to bring her over to meet Eris and hopefully she likes eris. I want eris to have the oppurtunity to be around another dog.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't be discuraged if the russel snaps at the puppy if the puppy gets in her face. that is good behavior from a momma dog. as long as the puppy doesn't yelp.
okay. right now eris is sitting in her food bowl and whining while eating. she whines when she potties, whines when she is sleeping. MY poor baby misses her litter mates, but i do bring her to see her brother.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just re-read your post. Your pup is 4 weeks old?? That is very, very young for a pup to be away from it's mother.
momma stopped nursing them over a week ago and pretty much ignored them. She was not going in to be with them or anything. So i got her now instead of when i was originally going to get her. She is eating puppy food(wet/dry) and drinking water on her own. She goes every where's with me. Spoiled is what she is going to be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Puppies always learn by their elders, they learn there are boundaries and it helps develop their own personalities. As long as there is a watchful eye it is good for their development. Do you have any pictures of the puppy?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm going to suggest that you only get this other dog if YOU want her, and not only for your puppy. JRTs tend to be very high energy dogs and as such, if they are not given the proper amounts of exercise, management and training they require, they can also become very destructive. Keep in mind that here is also a possibility that this dog and your puppy will not get along. And no matter what, two dogs brings twice the expense, clean-up, etc.

There are other ways to socialize your pup as she matures. Just having another dog around isn't going to do it. She will still need to be introduced to as many new people, animals, places and scenerios as possible in such a way as to encourage her to feel confident. I must say that it is unfortunate that (I'm assuming, since I haven't read the other thread) the breeder failed to realize the importance of keeping the pups together during this crucial developmental period even though the dam was disinterested in them.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Also, if you don't know, many pits become dog aggressive in their life time, even if they have grown up with a dog from puppyhood, some just become less tolerant as they mature.

So be prepared to crate and rotate if it comes to that.

If you are not, then don't get another dog. I know it sounds harsh, but it's the truth, and it's what a lot of pitty owners have to go through, but it's manageable.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I don't think it would hurt to introduce them, it would be good for Eris to have an older dog around to teach her the ropes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts