Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have the opportunity to go away for a couple of days next weekend, without our dog.

We have friends who have offered to let our dog Winnie stay with them, they have a dog too and the dogs get along fine.

My question is this -- our dog stays in a crate when we're out of the house (not overnight for sleeping or any other time). Their dog does not.

For most of the 3 days or so that our dog will be there, they'll be home and it's not an issue -- but when they do go out, does it make sense for our dog to be crated in their home while their dog is not? That doesn't seem right to me. And if they leave my dog uncrated -- is that gonna mess her whole crating behavior up when we get her back? She usually goes in her crate pretty easily at home when we need her to.

Appreciate any thoughts -- and taking our dog with us for these couple of nights is not an option, I'm fine leaving her with these folks, just not sure about the crating thing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well you can always give them the crate and have them crate her in the beginning. Then if it seems like the crate isn't working in the situation, let them make the choice whether or not to crate her. A lot of dogs see their crate as a safe place for them to go, so maybe if told them to leave the crate open and see if she goes in there on her own.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'd probably have them crate her. Maybe in a separate area of the house to where they keep their dog so as not to cause any issues...

It could potentially cause issues with your crate training if they don't, but more importantly if she decides to be destructive or anything she could make a mess in their house.

I'd also be concerned about the two dogs being left alone together anyway. It's probably a better idea to crate her.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Have them crate her, trust me dog's don't think about what's fair. keep the crate training up, it keeps her safe and she'll have some little taste of home and security in a new place.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Edit: What she said. :D

... does it make sense for our dog to be crated in their home while their dog is not? That doesn't seem right to me.
Why doesn't it seem right? It seems right to me that your dog be treated as much like she is treated at home as possible.

If I were in your position, I would absolutely ask them to crate our dog when they go out, if that's what she's used to.

I've had puppies in crates while the other dogs were out. It's not like they sit there and think how unfair it is. :) Keep her routine as much like home as possible. That's my advice. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your quck replies. I guess the reason it doesn't seem "right" to me, is that I can imagine their dog running around and "taunting" our dog who would be stuck in the crate -- like a little kid would do?? What the heck do I know though....

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
LOL, dogs really don't taunt that way, I understand the thought process though. Trust me she'll be happier in her crate with her stuff and it'll keep her out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well, that is why you come to the forum... to get answers.:D

I would ask them to crate, also. I would rather be safe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When we leave, we crate one of our dogs and the other gets free roam of the house. I kind of imagine Toby flaunting his freedom but Fergus doesn't seem to mind. He loves his crate and Toby loves his freedom so I think they're both happy.

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
When we first got Molly, she was crated (because she was a puppy) and Esther slept right outside her crate. When we went outside at night, Esther went along (to demonstrate the reason for going out in the night, frequently in the rain.) When we came back in, Molly went into her crate and Esther curled up on her bed right next to it.

Not once did Molly say, "Hey! What's the deal here?"

Your dog will do best by continuing, as much as possible, her usual routine, including the crate.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Shippo is crated when 'm not here, and Eevee is given run of the house. Both of them are fine with that.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Just for the mere fact that I wouldn't want the dogs to be alond unsupervised, even if they get along most of the time..I would crate her. Have fun on your trip.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Thanks for your quck replies. I guess the reason it doesn't seem "right" to me, is that I can imagine their dog running around and "taunting" our dog who would be stuck in the crate -- like a little kid would do?? What the heck do I know though....
That's something a human might do, but not a dog. Send the crate along with your dog to be crated as usual.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would have them crate your dog. If it bothers you that the other dog won't be crated, maybe they could put the crate in a bedroom or something apart from the other dog.

I will be doing the same thing this fall. Nanuq is always in her crate when we leave and she also sleeps in it at night. We are renting so I can't risk her doing any damage when we can't watch her. I will ask my friend to follow our usual crating routine even though her own dogs are not crated. My daughter is Nanuq's favorite person in the whole world. She follows her everywhere. I plan to have her wear an old t-shirt for a couple of days and then leave it in Nanuq's crate when we leave. I hope that having her scent with her will help her feel more secure in a strange environment. I don't know if it will really help Nanuq but it will make me feel better.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts