Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking about getting another dog when I move out with Damon (my min pin). I will be renting a house with a medium sized fenced in back yard so room is no problem. Neither is the money to take care of two dogs. Damon has never been alone before so I want to get him a friend.

I would love your opinions on this breeder.
http://www.cantonpomeranians.com/

I have been researching these breeds and they all in there own way meet my needs. I would love your opinion on these breeds.

Pomeranian
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Papillon
phalene
Affenpinscher
French Bulldog
Schipperke
chinese crested powder puff

Also if you have any personal suggestions on breeders from the US that breed any of the breeds I'm thinking about please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
I have been thanking. From what I have seen on here most people with little dogs have other little dogs and people with big dogs have big dogs. What are your opinions on owning a small dog like a Miniature Pinscher and a bigger dog like a Boxer, Doberman Pinscher, or another bigger breed? My Miniature Pinscher tends to play rough and I do not know how bigger dogs would do with that. I know when I first got him he lived in a house with 10 Tea Cup Chihuahuas, 10 Chinese Crested, a beagle, and a American Bulldog. (I know they had too many dogs but that's another story.) I do not know how much he interacted with the bigger dog or how long they had him. How would you all suggest introducing him to a bigger dog? I am new to owning little dog breeds. I grew up showing dogs like Basenji, Dogue de Bordeaux, Doberman Pinscher, and Great Danes.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If it was me, I'd skip this breeder. I don't see anything on health testing? Plus, they have SO many puppies. I'm not saying reputable breeders can't have more than 1 litter on the ground at a time, but it's not overly common in my opinion. The pedigrees didn't impress me. So yeah - does nothing for me, nor does the idea of shipping a 4 month old puppy overseas... just not my thing.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply. I also do no like the idea of shipping a puppy overseas but would be willing to do so only for a purebred dog. Though I would ultimately prefer to buy from a breed in the US close to Indiana so I could see the dog in person first. Again thank you for your reply.

I have also been looking for these breeds or mix's of these breeds in local shelters but have not found any close to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can't find any breeders in your area? When I started looking for a dog I decided ahead of time how far I was willing to go. Meeting the dogs parents was a big thing for me, I am much more comfortable dealing with people face to face. Not saying you shouldn't buy a dog from overseas, it just seems a little risky to me. But I agree with Loki Love. That breeder has a lot of dogs, and a lot of puppies. I am under the personal belief that you should not be a breeder to make money, but out of a love for your breed. But I am no expert since I have owned two dogs in my life, and the first one doesn't count because I was 11 and my parents did most of the work ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Have you tried to look at AKC breed clubs in your area? I'm a big fan of Cav's and Powderpuffs, but you have to be very, very careful to buy from only reputable breeders who do complete health testing.

Read up on the diseases that are prevalent to the breeds and start to ask questions when you speak to breeders.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
First let me say thank you to all of you who have posted on here.

I have been looking at breeders in my area but many of them seem kind of shady to me. One lady even refused to let me come look at the dogs she uses for breeding. She told me if I wanted a puppy she would meet me half way. I knew from that moment she was not the breeder I was looking for.

I am in contact with 5 breeders "close" to me and plan on visiting 4 of them on a small road trip in a couple of weeks. I will not be buying until next may so I have a long time to find breeders and make connections.

I have been researching the diseases each breed is prone to and am tiring to find breeders that will provide documentation of the proper test. Thank you all for all your help so far! I really appreciate it.

I complete agree with you Beckster on "I am under the personal belief that you should not be a breeder to make money, but out of a love for your breed." The breeder we got our Basenji from only bred her dogs once a year and sometimes not even that. We were on the list for a Tri-Colored puppy from them for 3 and a half years before getting Sophie. And Damon was a rescue that turned out to be Purebred and have a Microchip to his breeder.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Have you thought about going to a dog show? Here are the ones coming up, just look at the ones that have AB next to them as those are all breed shows.

http://infodog.com/panels/in.htm

Actually there is a pomeranian specialty in Lebanon on the 16th of September, which is in conjunction with an all breed show, so there should be a good size entry of them.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you thought about going to a dog show? Here are the ones coming up, just look at the ones that have AB next to them as those are all breed shows.

http://infodog.com/panels/in.htm

Actually there is a pomeranian specialty in Lebanon on the 16th of September, which is in conjunction with an all breed show, so there should be a good size entry of them.
No I haven't thought about that before, I will try to go to a few shows. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
You may have to travel a bit to get a well-bred pup. But I bet you don't have to travel as far as the Phillpines! There were some things on that website that made me a bit uncomfortable, but could have an explanation. One was the number of females (over 50) but that could include past dogs and co-owned dogs. A ton of litters on the ground, but considering that about four or five of those litters (1-3 puppies) might equal one litter in many breeds, it's not that much more than two litters of labrador puppies. Probably less than one litter of gread dane puppies. That said, the website raises enough questions that I would want to do considerable research on their reputation in the Pom world, and would probably want to visit their facilities before getting a puppy. Maybe you want a vacation to the Phillipines, I don't know.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may have to travel a bit to get a well-bred pup. But I bet you don't have to travel as far as the Phillpines! There were some things on that website that made me a bit uncomfortable, but could have an explanation. One was the number of females (over 50) but that could include past dogs and co-owned dogs. A ton of litters on the ground, but considering that about four or five of those litters (1-3 puppies) might equal one litter in many breeds, it's not that much more than two litters of labrador puppies. Probably less than one litter of gread dane puppies. That said, the website raises enough questions that I would want to do considerable research on their reputation in the Pom world, and would probably want to visit their facilities before getting a puppy. Maybe you want a vacation to the Phillipines, I don't know.
Yes I see your points and I think I will stick to finding a pup in the US instead of overseas. BTW I love the dog in your photo its absolutely gorgeous.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yes I see your points and I think I will stick to finding a pup in the US instead of overseas. BTW I love the dog in your photo its absolutely gorgeous.
Thank you! That is Alice who is a 9 yo red merle Aussie, performing her freestyle routine to Ukulele Lady! She is a good girl

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I can't imagine getting a dog from overseas; no need to. Go to your breed(s) of choice's AKC page. From there, you can find breeders through their breeder referrals. Keep in mind that not everyone is always listed so talk to the ones in the parent club. If they don't have any puppies planned, they should be able to direct you to a breeder.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I can't imagine getting a dog from overseas; no need to. Go to your breed(s) of choice's AKC page. From there, you can find breeders through their breeder referrals. Keep in mind that not everyone is always listed so talk to the ones in the parent club. If they don't have any puppies planned, they should be able to direct you to a breeder.
Thank you I have started to look and talk to a few breeders off the AKC pages. They have been very helpful with all of this.

I have been thanking. From what I have seen on here most people with little dogs have other little dogs and people with big dogs have big dogs. What are your opinions on owning a small dog like a Miniature Pinscher and a bigger dog like a Boxer, Doberman Pinscher, or another bigger breed? My Miniature Pinscher tends to play rough and I do not know how bigger dogs would do with that. I know when I first got him he lived in a house with 10 Tea Cup Chihuahuas, 10 Chinese Crested, a beagle, and a American Bulldog. (I know they had too many dogs but that's another story.) I do not know how much he interacted with the bigger dog or how long they had him. How would you all suggest introducing him to a bigger dog? I am new to owning little dog breeds. I grew up showing dogs like Basenji, Dogue de Bordeaux, Doberman Pinscher, and Great Danes.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Go to the national breed club sites, most have a breeder directory with Code of Ethics Breeders, it's the best place to start.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Thank you I will do that.
If they don't have a direct list on their site (as not all do), they will have a contact person that can send you a list of breeders in your area.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
If they don't have a direct list on their site (as not all do), they will have a contact person that can send you a list of breeders in your area.
yes that is true, that's how I found my brittany breeder! The Brittany club has no breeder referral but they have contact people, the one I emailed forwarded my email and now we have the beautiful brit in my sig line!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Let me first say what a cutie Damon is! I too happen to share my home with 'The King of Toys' aka Min Pin.
Our Min Pin, Lucy, is nearing 7 years of age now. Still quite the prancer as I'm sure youv'e seen with your little guy. I love that trot! Lucy came into our home as a gift which wasn't the greatest idea in the world but it didn't end badly as most pets given as gifts do.
I have always been a big dog person- namely a GSD, Rottie, Dobie person but alas I am now a 'Min Pin's person'. Lucy was actually raised by a GSD with my help of course. They were the best of friends. Lucy was, and still is, an instigator. She loves/lives for drama. Hildy, my GSD, was always the opposite. Lucy always seemed intent on being larger than life and Hildy (RIP) was her guardian, her protector.

I have seen many small dogs whom have lived their lives successfully with larger breeds. It is all about common sense and training IMO. I treated their relationship how I always treated any dogs (regardless of size) in my care. Never left alone together in the home or outdoors. Trained to obey commands which could protect and prevent any unwanted fights.
I will also say I think it's all about temperment of the dogs in question more than anything else. My dear Hildy was a doggy saint I think. Very self confident. She never looked for a fight and she had alot of common sense. There were a few times where I slipped up when they were both young. Lucy could be quite annoying and Hildy had reached her limits so she had placed one paw on Lucy and was just sitting there as if there wasn't a thing in the world going on. Due to a super doggy teacher Lucy has always had a good deal of sense regarding how to read/understand/and give proper language.
Also many training classes and dog park activities with doggy friends. When choosing a larger dog to live with a smaller breed we must err on the side of caution as to the breeds' general temperment/disposition and prey drive which can escalate into an incident if small dog runs... And also be prepared (as one should when bringing any dog into the home) that they may not 'get along' and you may have to seperate them for good. Help from an experienced breeder/trainer would be a great tool to use in finding the right dog for your home and life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts