Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to wonder if the shelter was correct in saying he will be a small dog. Looking at his mom, she looks bigger then the dad and potentially have lab in her.

Benji will be 8 weeks on the 26th ( taken from him mom waayyy to early :( the shelter was not pleased )

He is currently 6.3 pounds

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The vet told me that with small dogs their final weight is something like twice their 16 wk weight. Hamilton was 3.8 lbs at 8 wks when we got him from the shelter - gained a pound a week for a month, then slowed to about a half pound a week - he was about 10 lbs (wiggly on the scale!!) at 16 wks, so we're thinking he'll be in the 20 lbs range when he's fully grown. Going by my completely unscientific deductive reasoning, if Benji will be a little over 1.5X Hamilton at 8 wks... maybe something like 30-40 lbs full grown?? Of course we have no idea what Ham is mixed with so his size is just speculation. Someone at play group last night couldn't believe how much he weighed - he's compact, but built like a tank.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The vet told me that with small dogs their final weight is something like twice their 16 wk weight. Hamilton was 3.8 lbs at 8 wks when we got him from the shelter - gained a pound a week for a month, then slowed to about a half pound a week - he was about 10 lbs (wiggly on the scale!!) at 16 wks, so we're thinking he'll be in the 20 lbs range when he's fully grown. Going by my completely unscientific deductive reasoning, if Benji will be a little over 1.5X Hamilton at 8 wks... maybe something like 30-40 lbs full grown?? Of course we have no idea what Ham is mixed with so his size is just speculation. Someone at play group last night couldn't believe how much he weighed - he's compact, but built like a tank.

Thats what I was thinking anywhere from 25-40 . Moms not going to be happy with her 'lapdog' but she'll get over it, he isnt going anywhere . She loves him by far to much!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Both of mine are at 30.4 lb and a little over a year old. They grew exactly one pound a week so yours may be a a little bit smaller if now 30lbs as well.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of mine are at 30.4 lb and a little over a year old. They grew exactly one pound a week so yours may be a a little bit smaller if now 30lbs as well.

I hope so, your 2 look to be a nice size my mom would like. Im thinking he might just be leggy. Kind to think of it, koda is sooooooooooo tiny! and short, but guess how much he weighs? 18lbs

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Can't tell from this picture, but Benji looks like an underweight, yellow Lab ? ...if so, a small Lab can be 50 lbs ....

You'll have a better guess in a few months...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't tell from this picture, but Benji looks like an underweight, yellow Lab ? ...if so, a small Lab can be 50 lbs ....

You'll have a better guess in a few months...
LOL nope! He is a beagle/terrier mix ;)

Heres his dad and mom

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Not sure how helpful this will be since I don't know how much she actually weighed, but here's Sydney at about 9 weeks. She ended up weighing about 18-20 pounds as an adult. It's hard to say from pictures but Benji's a bit bigger than her already at 8 weeks, right?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not sure how helpful this will be since I don't know how much she actually weighed, but here's Sydney at about 9 weeks. She ended up weighing about 18-20 pounds as an adult. It's hard to say from pictures but Benji's a bit bigger than her already at 8 weeks, right?

Sydney is about the same size as him! its funny how such a large pup only turned out tiny thanks!
yup he is 8 weeks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts