Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Opinion on Pro Plan?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Amaryllis 
#1 ·
Just wondering what everyone's opinion on the Purina Pro Plan was, and how you think it stacks up against other foods

#2 ·
Not great. Not awful. Somewhat overpriced for the quality.

#6 ·
www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a great place to compare foods and ingredients. Try to stay with 4 and 5 star rated food if it is within your budget. Be sure the first four ingredients are not corn, wheat or soy, if you can, as these are a few of the big culprits in food allergies in dogs. The first four ingredients should contain meat, meat meals, and not meat by-products.

I use TOTW for allergy reasons as it is grain-free.

#7 ·
I've had good luck with Pro Plan. I feed lamb/rice and my dogs like it.

However.... I was just looking at their facebook page and now I don't think I can feed it. There are tons of people complaining about finding "unidentified objects" in their dogs food. From the pictures they are posting it looks like maybe some kind of material and lots of chopped up mice or something. Very gross and definately not something I am going to chance feeding to my dogs. So far, Purina's only response is a canned, "Sorry, we are looking into it, blah blah blah."

Back to the drawing board to find a good dog food. We don't have a lot of options here in the boonies. Nearest petsmart is 2 1/2 hours away. Our local rake and shovel shop just carries Science Diet, Iams, Pro Plan, and Nutro - plus all the garbage foods like Pedigree and Ol' Roy.

#10 ·
You know what they say about great minds think alike?? lol

I just ordered some TOTW online. I went with Petflow this time because of the current promotion. I'm curious to see how long it takes to get here and also I want to try it and see how the boys do. What I saw on facebook - the Pro Plan Page - really has me spooked on their food now. In my line of work I deal with a lot of gross stuff that doesn't bother me, but for some reason seeing crap in my dogs food - just really turned my stomach. I even went thru the tub of food I've currently got and thankfully didn't find anything weird in this batch.

I just assumed some of the 5-star food would be out of my price range, but actually, I can get a lot of it online cheeper than what I've been paying for a 3-4 star food locally.

#13 ·
I just assumed some of the 5-star food would be out of my price range, but actually, I can get a lot of it online cheeper than what I've been paying for a 3-4 star food locally.
And, you feed less, so you'll save even more! Just be careful with the amount you feed, because it should be less than the Purina. I switched Muggsy from Pedigree to Wellness and went from 5C a day to 3.5C a day. Also, it freaked me out at first, but your dogs will probably poop less, too. Muggsy was pooping 3 or 4 times a day, and then went down to once a day on Wellness. I thought I was poisoning him or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.