Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
personally i think PETA is a stupid organization. they think that owning a pet of any kind is like slavery. and that any animal sport is wrong.

if were not owning our pets where are they supposed to go to have regular vet checks and regular meals? and in most animal sports the animal has lots of fun and attention?

i cant see any prob. with owning a pet inless you abuse it. and i dont see any prob with animal sports unless they get abused and thrown out when they get old.

plz post your opinion of the peta and post pics of your dog so we can all see.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I like some of their stuff, but other stuff I don't agree with.

I like a lot of organizations who get the word out their about animal testing, skinning for fur, etc...and how wrong they are.

But PETA takes it way too far sometimes.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
PETA takes everything to the extreme.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think just about anything in extremes are bad. I think some PETA members have good ideas and they are genuine animal lovers that want to make a difference. I think as a whole, the organization often does more harm then good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't even go to their web site I get so choke up so see their stuff they should warn people before posting very graphic pics videos etc :(!!

·
Banned
572 Posts
You don't want to know what I REALLY think about them.

It's not just a matter of them taking their opinions to the extreme, it's about animal rights having nothing to do with the safe humane treatment of animals. Animal rights is geared toward ENDING PET OWNERSHIP OF ALL KIND. No pet dogs, cats, horse, etc. No hunting, fishing. No human interaction with animals. HSUS and ASPCA are going in that direction as well. First hand from ASPCA I have heard their "mission" is to spay/neuter. Really? I thought it was the prevention of cruelty to animals.

Quotes from PETA's founder, Ingrid Newkirk.
http://www.activistcash.com/biography_quotes.cfm/bid/456

“In the end, I think it would be lovely if we stopped this whole notion of pets altogether.”
— Newsday, Feb 1988

“I don’t use the word 'pet.' I think it’s speciesist language. I prefer 'companion animal.' For one thing, we would no longer allow breeding. People could not create different breeds. There would be no pet shops. If people had companion animals in their homes, those animals would have to be refugees from the animal shelters and the streets. You would have a protective relationship with them just as you would with an orphaned child. But as the surplus of cats and dogs (artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship – enjoyment at a distance.”
— The Harper's Forum Book, Jack Hitt, ed., 1989, p.223

“Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.”
— Harper's, Aug 1988

“The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats... If people want toys, they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship, they should seek it with their own kind.”
— Animals, May 1993

“Six million people died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughterhouses. [emphasis added]”
— The Washington Post, Nov 1983

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
even if some are truly animal lovers they shoudnt be in PETA. it makes them look bad, because PETA as a whole is a sick organization with a wack concept on animal crulty.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think they have some good idea's, but they take EVERYTHING to the extreme and do not look at reality enough. I think some of their members are misinformed, and I think they hurt animals more than they help animals.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree with some things, like not killing animals for food. But I don't see what's wrong with keeping a pet as long as you take care of it.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Well I.....

Own dogs and other animals.
Compete in confirmation and performance sports with those dogs
Worked in the wholesale meat industry for 17 years.
Now work in an industry that is a companion(supplier) business to the ranching and farming industry.
Have personally been involved in the ranching industry. (at one time I had over 350 head of cattle)
Was a partner in a retail meat market.
Am a lifelong hunter.
Am a lifelong fisherman.
Enjoy Rodeos.

Heck I am probably on their hit list.......

I forgot...

I am also a licensed nuisance wildlife trapper.
When in High School, I raised steers and had a rabbitry with over 100 head of brood rabbits as my FFA project.

·
Banned
572 Posts
Somehow the line between caring for animals & being an aninal lover has become both twisted and blurred by AR organizations that seek to end pet ownership. It's very easy for them to play on the heartstrings, invoke sympathy. Right now we're at a critical crossroads. The next 3-5 years will determine if breeding & hunting remains legal in this country. Once that is abolished ownership is next to be banned. Anyone who loves dogs or even wants to have the right to continue to eat meat or other animal products has an obligation to fight this threat. It concerns all of us, not just breeders or sportsmen.

PETA has objected to guide dogs for the blind as well, btw. They have made the point that dogs and pigs are equal to humans but if they TRULY felt this way, they would have a greater respect for human life. They are a sad lot, I do feel sorry for those who have been recruited and used to advance this progressive agenda :(

Another good PETA information website: 7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA
http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/consumer-freedom012807.htm

I agree with some things, like not killing animals for food. But I don't see what's wrong with keeping a pet as long as you take care of it.

That's interesting. So you don't believe people should be able to eat meat, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, etc?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dout pet ownership will ever end. look at are presidents most of them have had dogs or pets. when even the leader of the country has a pet theres not much you could do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's interesting. So you don't believe people should be able to eat meat, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, etc?
I don't like it, but I don't try and force people to quit eating meat. I eat milk, cheese and eggs. Just nothing that involves the death of a sentient being because of my religion.

·
Banned
572 Posts
When hunting with hounds is banned in the country the sport practically originated from and was perfected in, yeah, I worry.
I have been hunting since 1996 and there is about 1/3 less legal land to hunt on in a little over 12 years. Breeder is a dirty word. Dogs are no longer viewed as pets but our little furry children. My own state and dozens others are being inundated with anti breeder legislation. The latest NY anti breeder bill proposes to PUNISH ANY PET OWNER WHO PURCHASES (accidentally or otherwise) FROM A DISREPUTABLE OR UNLICENSED BREEDER. This will eliminate hobby breeding b/c to be licensed one must accomadate dogs in a kennel. AR groups worked to degrade commercial breeders and promote home raised pups. Now they are degrading show breeders and making it impossible to home raise dogs/pups.

If things continue to progress at this rate, it is forseeable breeding and hunting will be essentially outlawed one piece of legislation at a time within 5yrs. Pet ownership will be tabboo or illegal in 15-20yrs, conservatively. It is already happening.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Dogs can eat meat. I have no problems with dogs eating meat because they're supposed to. The reason I don't eat meat is because of my religion.
Okay.... I understand now.

Just out of curiosity and in no way critisizing or knocking your religion, but is it okay in your faith to feed meat to carnivorous pets?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do you know how many people would fight for the right to own there pets. i know if some one trys to take my dog i'll kill them.

so wat do we do to stop banning pet ownership?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts