Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 8 month old husky lab and he has a regular collar. he pulls when i walk him. not hard but alwas tense. i also think about getting a choker because he will be a big dog . i always thought they were cruel but i see them a lot so i was intrested in other peoples opinion should i get a choker?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
If you have weak hands/wrists or what have you, I'd use a pinch collar or gentle leader before a choke.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would definitely not use a choker as well. If your dog doesn't have any aggression issues, and is just a puller, you could use a Prong collar. But don't use it for correcting the dog, but let the dog correct itself. I used one on my Betty in Rally training, and working with her heeling. I didn't do any leash corrections with it, but let Betty correct herself when she would start to pull a little, would feel uncomfortable and she would slow back down. Since then, we have switched over to a regular collar, now that her heeling was near perfect. So we don't need to use it anymore.

But to give a little other insight as well, I have tried using the Prong for behavior issues. Within 3 days of it with Betty's issues (lunging at other dogs and some people) it only increased her issues. And not just a little either. So if the dog has any issues, don't use the prong unless you have someone that knows exactly how to use this tool, and be prepared to stop if it makes things worse. The Prong is a powerful tool, and in the wrong hands, can negatively affect the dog.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Used properly, choke collars are good for most dogs. Used properly, pinch collars work better and are safer but they are cumbersome and inconvenient to use.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I would say that I am Pro-training collar (won't call it "choke", because your not supposed to...) Pro-pinch. However, before you all get on me, each collar needs be shown by a professional to the owner, and teach them how to use it. And like WVASKO, I'm outta here! :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I wouldn't use a slip collar in your situation. A prong might be okay - depends on the dog. A no pull harness would also be an alternative, if the only problem is tension on the leash.

I used a prong collar on Chloe when I was teaching her to behave out in public and walk on a leash. I loved it and Chloe still gets excited when she sees it in my hand. However, I haven't had to use it in quite some time (months) as I don't need it anymore.

Either way, all things mentioned above are tools. They will not train your dog for you and you still need to work with your dog to resolve its pulling issues.

*follows Wvasko and Corteo out the door*

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Personally I dig a flat buckle collar the best. With a little patience, preparedness and the right attitude, anything is possible.

BUT as far as *training* collars go I will usually recommend a martingale...

*scuttles out after the others..*

·
Registered
411 Posts
Me, I use a Halti. Tried a prong made her more reactive around other dogs. I put the halti on and she doesn't even try to pull and walks nicely beside me. You do have to let them get used to it though. First time when she was still young, it was like having a wild thing on the end of the leash. Now, she doesn't bother throwing a hissy fit. I think she realizes no halti, no walk.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have seen dogs who pull choking their own lights out while on a choke collar while walking. The trick is not in the collar.. it is how you handle the dog when he pulls. Expecting him to stop because he is choking usually does not work.

However, if every time your dog puts tension on the leash you turn around and walk the other he will get the idea that a tight lead means you are going to turn around. The first time you do this you may only go 12 feet for the entire walk. When doing this the type of collar needs to be one the dog cannot slip.

If using a choke or a prong collar the object is to use a tug on that collar, NOT a steady pull. They work, but I would try turning and walking the opposite direction (quickly mind you, not slowly!) when the dog tightens the lead.. and I would do it every time he tightens the lead.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It all depends on if you know how to use it correctly and how to fit it proprely. If you pull on your choke collar like you would on a lawnmower, it's not a good idea (I've seen this too many times).

If you don't feel qualified for this type of equipment (I know I don't), there's all sorts of other tools like special harnesses and halti. As for Akira, I taught him using positive reinforcement and clicker training to heel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quite honestly you may want to look into a harness. They help immensely with large dogs who pull. It's how i walk my friend's rottie that refuses to walk nice on a collar. The harness places pressure when the dog pulls and makes it difficult for them to move forward anymore.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I'd try the EZ Walk or Gentle Leader combined with an obedience class.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The trainer from my dog class recomended I use a prong(pinch) collar to curb my lab/pitbull mix's pulling problem. He obviously was very whiny about it at first but got used to it very quickly. He now walks like a dream. I would definitely recomend a prong. My experiences with the chokes are not so good, I dont find the dogs being corrected at all, they just keep on pulling.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Quite honestly you may want to look into a harness. They help immensely with large dogs who pull. It's how i walk my friend's rottie that refuses to walk nice on a collar. The harness places pressure when the dog pulls and makes it difficult for them to move forward anymore.
You do realize that a harness makes it MORE comfortable and easier for a dog to pull, right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You do realize that a harness makes it MORE comfortable and easier for a dog to pull, right?

lol this was the mistake I first made because I thought the harness would be safer for the dog so that was initially his only collar, but everyone informed me very quickly that, that would make my pulling issue worse. I didnt even realize he had a pulling issue until I put him on the pinch and realized how good he walked

1 - 20 of 58 Posts