Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a vet and part of my job is answering the phone's and I am normally very patient and understand with people, and only once before this time have I let my patience slip.

What bothers me and gets under my skin the most is when someone purchases a puppy and then can't afford a thing for it. It just grinds my nerves. I understand when someone has a dog and bad fortune and the economy hits hard and things happen, I strive always to work with those people and sometimes even provide them with super discounted services if not free. but when someone goes and buys a puppy ( sometimes spending A LOT of money on the puppy) and then complains about not having the money to do just the very basic care.

A lady called me the other day to inquire about the vaccinations for puppies. Knowing a lot of people are struggling with money I always start with just the basic needs of the puppy. and then at the end provide them with their other options.
So i explained to her the importance of DHPP and the complete set of booster shots. the set of shots after the end of the 2 months it takes to give the set ends up being $100 and her response was
"well who would spend $100 on a puppy that is just silly, that is way to much money to spend on a puppy"
i responded "well its broken up 2 weeks apart and you pay as you go so its not something you need to come up with up front."
she asked well can't i just get one shot isn't that enough. and i explained a little more. and after a little more complaining i said in a very nice tone
" these are the things you have to think about BEFORE purchasing a puppy, puppies cost money and will continue to cost money , it is a responsibility"

she obviously got upset and excused herself from the phone call.

it was not my intention to be rude. but I feel people need to know this stuff. If she can't spend that amount which is very cheap in the chicago area. what is gonna happen if it breaks its leg or gets hurt or sick?

was I out of line? i was SOOOO annoyed.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I would probably be offended feeling that I was getting a lecture, BUT I would also never complain about $100 for something my dog needed. IMO that's not even very expensive. While it may not have been the best professionally, IMO it sounded like she was looking to get something for nothing anyway. You probably wouldn't have been able to please her no matter what you said.

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
I work at a vet and part of my job is answering the phone's and I am normally very patient and understand with people, and only once before this time have I let my patience slip.

What bothers me and gets under my skin the most is when someone purchases a puppy and then can't afford a thing for it. It just grinds my nerves. I understand when someone has a dog and bad fortune and the economy hits hard and things happen, I strive always to work with those people and sometimes even provide them with super discounted services if not free. but when someone goes and buys a puppy ( sometimes spending A LOT of money on the puppy) and then complains about not having the money to do just the very basic care.

A lady called me the other day to inquire about the vaccinations for puppies. Knowing a lot of people are struggling with money I always start with just the basic needs of the puppy. and then at the end provide them with their other options.
So i explained to her the importance of DHPP and the complete set of booster shots. the set of shots after the end of the 2 months it takes to give the set ends up being $100 and her response was
"well who would spend $100 on a puppy that is just silly, that is way to much money to spend on a puppy"
i responded "well its broken up 2 weeks apart and you pay as you go so its not something you need to come up with up front."
she asked well can't i just get one shot isn't that enough. and i explained a little more. and after a little more complaining i said in a very nice tone
" these are the things you have to think about BEFORE purchasing a puppy, puppies cost money and will continue to cost money , it is a responsibility"

she obviously got upset and excused herself from the phone call.

it was not my intention to be rude. but I feel people need to know this stuff. If she can't spend that amount which is very cheap in the chicago area. what is gonna happen if it breaks its leg or gets hurt or sick?

I am probably more tolerant of most in my definition of 'able to afford the dog' - by which I mean routine vet care, basic diagnostics and treatment and euthanasia. I don't get bent out of shape if someone can't afford an orthopedic or emergency surgery and they end up euthanizing instead of treating - after the diagnostics. I should, but after so long in rescue I'm more tolerant.

But 'I can't afford 100.00 for routine vaccinations given over 2 visits' - WHAT? My dog's RABIES booster was more than 50.00!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Fade, I work at a vet clinic too so I totally feel your pain. Luckily our local humane society started a charity clinic just recently, so I have redirected a lot of people there lately. It really bothers me when someone goes out and spends a few hundred on a new puppy and when they call about an appointment I get lectured that they just spent $X on the dog and now I am telling them they're going to be spending another couple hundred puppy boosters and spay/neutered.

What gets me upset is the people who think the veterinary clinic should give them free services/medicines. I'm not talking about long time clients or clients who we have at least met once or twice, its the people who have never bothered to take their 5 year old male unneutered cat to a vet (ever!), and demand free services because their cat had a wound from a fight that was now filled with pus because it was several weeks old already. The woman who happened to be calling in this situation told me she didn't wouldn't work out a payment agreement (nope, couldn't do $5 a week), she wouldn't apply for CareCredit, she had zero intentions of paying us or any other vet clinic for that matter (this came out after I suggested the charity clinic, they would charge her based on income and that meant if she was truly in need they may charge her less than $20). It broke my heart for that poor cat. I understand there are times of pure need, but this woman didn't have the money 5years ago when she got the cat to neuter him (which the humane society would have done for $30, including a rabies vaccine and feline distemper and deworming).... She should have NEVER gotten him in the first place.

Sorry that was my mini rant. If there was one thing I wish I could teach people is that animals cost money. Period. I get that the economy is awful and a lot of people are just barely skimming by who used to be able to afford pets, that's fine those aren't the ones that bother me. It's the people who can barely feed their kids and then get them a puppy, and somehow its my fault they can't afford to finish his puppy boosters. It really hurts me.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ooooooooh I so feel your pain on this one! I used to work at a clinic also. And that is cheap what you told that lady! I know you have to be nice blah blah blah, but someone needs to tell these people. Luckily my head nurse had a shorter temper then i do so it normally ended up being her not me. I see people all the time who's pets have never seen a vet and all their teeth need pulling, doing a lump removal that we had to put the lump in a BUCKET( it was far to big to put in the kidney dish) because the owner had left it so long, it was a small dog too(cocker spaniel). Said lady of the lump dog got grumpy at me when I told her how to care for the sutures (which there were many), she said "if you didn't put so many stitches in, the dog wouldnt be such a mess, cost me an arm and a leg and now I have to go home and look after him like this" I understand the surgery was expensive but if she had come in sooner it wouldnt have been.
Vaccinations are the most common thing to come up in this situation though.
Nice or not, what you said was right and proper in the situation. If your not the person to tell her, then who is!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think you're all noble. My mother always wanted me to be a veterinarian because I love animals, love them dearly. When I was a kid I had dreams of helping sick or injured animals back to health. Reality stormed in and I realized that many people opt for euthanasia because they can't or won't pay for the treatment of the animal. I know that I would incapable of putting down animals. Even if the owner opted for it, I would still do everything I could to save the animal's life! Veterinary medicine was definitely not for me.

My puppy's shots are $124 across 2 visits and that doesn't include spay. Now granted there are low speutering clinics in the area and the only requirement is the rabies shot to go to them.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i probably would have thrown in "well, it can be $100 now or $1000's later if/when the pup gets distemper/lepto/parvo/or whatever........but then it's these sort of people that would probably just say to put the pup to sleep.....

on the other side, i do all my puppy shots and then get the rabies thru the vet.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
$100.00 IS cheap!!! lol I live in a small town in Virginia and Dexter, our 5 month old papillon, has had 3 of his 4 booster and he's had his bordatella (sp?) nasal spray vaccine because we plan on neutering him at 6 months. We also had started him on Sentinal and we use Frontline on him and our cats. The 3 times that we've been at the vet the bill has (1) $115, (2) $80, (3) $105. And we STILL have one more booster to go plus his rabies to do this coming Saturday. The he will FINALLY have all of his shots for this year. It is sooo not cheap to have a puppy or kitten. Kitten require the same. A set of 3 boosters given over time and a rabies.

We are not a "rich" family, but when we decided to start researching puppies and possibly get one for our family, we started setting a little aside here and there for vet bills. I think so many people aquire a puppy or kitten spur-of-the-momently and never think of exactly what having this new baby entails.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I spend 80-100 a year for shots and it's no big deal because it's just once a year... I've spent more on my rats' vet care in less than a year I've had them than I have on my dog's since I moved out...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
. Reality stormed in and I realized that many people opt for euthanasia because they can't or won't pay for the treatment of the animal. I know that I would incapable of putting down animals. Even if the owner opted for it, I would still do everything I could to save the animal's life! Veterinary medicine was definitely not for me.
I had one student who was a veterinarian at the vet hospital I use. She came to class with her wonderful little tri-pod Border collie who had been maimed in a dog fight, and the owners brought her in to be euthed. They got her signed over, and she adopted her. She has moved to another state to pursue her specialty, but last I heard, she was getting ready to have a hip replaced that had apparently be injured by being hit by a car and not repaired by the previous owners (the amputation was a front leg)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I can't imagine being nice to the first scenario. She wouldn't apply for Care Credit, wouldn't pay $5 a week? Sorry for the cat.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts

The rescue I got Kabota from has a mastiff that broke it's front leg at 2 months. The owners couldn't afford to treat the break, so they put him in a crate for the next 6 months. I saw the pictures of the result. I puked.

Heck, Kabota came to the shelter with this:

That's a benign tumor- that nearly killed him because he couldn't eat around it. What did his owners do? Ignored it until he started to starve to death.

So, yeah, you're right to be annoyed. It's one thing to fall on hard times. Been there, done that. Many was the night I went hungry so I could buy food for Muggsy. But to go into it too poor to care for the dog? That's stupidity, and it's always the dog who pays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts