Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday Jubel and I had a great time at the dog park. 1.5 hours with I'd guess close to a full hour of that him running around having a great time, versus the more normal I'm lucky if he's active 30 minutes of that 1.5 hours. Get home and he gets dinner while mine cooks. He goes out to potty while I finish my dinner, afterwards we go downstairs.

Soon after he starts barking at me. I assume he just wants some attention as he got lots of exercise, ate, and peed recently. We go through a few mintues of commands and come loven and I go back to my computer. He starts the barking again, this is maybe 45 minute to an hour after his last potty break so I think he's just being a brat and take him upstairs and go back down myself. Usually he'll quite down and go take a nap in this situation, he kept up the barking. After about 5 minutes I go upstairs to check him out and he's peed on the carpet.

*facepalm* That is why he kept barking at me, he needed to pee. Usually I do take him out again before leaving him upstairs and didn't... my bad. I just sighed and said "well damn" frustrated with myself and went to get a plastic bag, paper towels, and the nature's miracle. The entire time I cleaned up the mess he sat in front of me looking so pitiful, I felt bad for him. My brother on the other hand laughed and said he was trying to tell me who's boss. So I had to explain again to my brother that dogs are NOT vindictive and he wasn't trying to "punish" me for putting him upstairs alone.

But yeah... that was my fun evening. Poor puppy.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
LOL....oops is right.

I did almost the same thing last week with Bella. My neighbor had just brought her back after a visit. My Mom was over and we were just at the end of a movie (The Girl w/Dragon Tattoo....very weird BTW), anyway...after about 15 minutes Bella was staring at me whining. I said "you were JUST outside! You just want to follow Liz home. Stop being a beast - jeeze!"

Another few minutes went by and I noticed her circling around the back of the couch - looking at me like, "I'm gonna do it....I swear I will!!"

So, I paused the last two minutes of the movie to let her out. She musta peed for 5 minutes. I felt sooooooo bad, too. Guess she didn't pee when she was with her nanny. Ooops.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I think everybody must have those "oops" moments. We've recently noticed Caeda will sometimes squat when we tell her to "get busy", but doesn't really pee much like just the action should get her praise. Or if she is out playing for an hour, she might not even pee....just play. Then she will whine an hour or two later, we take her out when the wining stps and she'll pee a gallon! She whined one night last week in her crate and we thought she was being a brat and wanting attention (which she does do occasionally, but rarely at 3am). We felt SO bad, because we checked after 5 mins and she had vomited EVERYWHERE in her crate (apparently dewormer didn't agree with her, poor thing), went outside had diarrhea and a pee. We always feel horrible when these things happen....but knowing it happens to her people kinda helps...lol

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I just assumed he was being a brat because he DID pee when I let him out at most an hour earlier. I felt really bad for him because he really is VERY good about not going in the house. I've had him for almost 16 months now and in that time he only peed/pooped in the house about 8 times in the first month while he re-adjusted to life in a house again and I learned his needs better (a few of those where my fault too). So this was the first accident in well over a year and he just looked SOO pitifully at me while I cleaned up and I tried to assure him it was okay, not his fault.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It happens. Don't feel too bad.

Close call for me last night too. Went to bed at 2 after letting the Boys out one last time. Woke up at 4 to Tyler walking around. He usually sleeps like the dead. I thought he was just being silly, so I turned over and went back to sleep. Until I woke up 30 minutes later to him still pacing. This time he whined a little bit and I decided to drag myself outside.

Oh boy did he run downstairs and out the door! Poor guy had the runs.

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Yeah, I made the mistake ONE time of ignoring Chester's pacing in the nighttime. After all, it was only 2 or 3 hours after the last trip outside for the evening (he's usually good 8 pm to 6 am). He very very rarely barks, so it was only click of nails on hardwood floors and the sound of couch springs that even let me know he was awake.

But I was the dummy that forgot we'd been at the horse barn all day where he has a bad tendency to snack on horse poop. So I woke up the next morning to several piles of completely undigested horse poop around my living room. I could still see the little corn and grain kernels...

Lesson learned for sure!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ok I'm gagging. Nope. I would never ignore Chester's pleas after that one!
Willow doesn't bark to go out either. I just wake up to find her staring at me. Somehow I just sense I am being looked at and wake, even though there is not a sound.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If Jubel has a middle of the night emergency and needs to go out he'll usually jump out of bed (that is enough to wake me up) and whine softly. I'll say "potty?" and he bolts for the door and I'll get up and let him out. So far he's ONLY done this when he needs to go out right then and there, and sometimes that urgency has come a few times a night. Much prefered to waking up to a mess. Love my boy and I've never ignored that haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts