Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first two days with Onyx (8 week old lab/collie mix), have been great! I don't know if I am getting lucky with housetraining but I got her to go outside right when I got her home, gave her a liver treat, and there have been no accidents since! She has been whining and crying for me to take her out EVERY time and has a space on the lawn she likes.

My only problem (and I am a softie) is that she is attached at the hip. Seperation is very bad, she whines uncontrolablly. When with me she is right by my side.

I am also concerned that she almost seems a little too mellow for a pup. Tale wags like crazy and plays but pretty mellow. As in she will just sit by me on the couch for hours at a time like an older dog. I have to get up and get her going to go outside and play. She seems content just "lounging." Maybe this is another lucky thing but I expected her to be more hyper.

My other question is with food. I am feeding her Purina natural turkey and barley formula. She seems to love it. On the bag it says 1/2 - 3/4 cup a day for her weight and age?? This seems very little and she eats a half cup quickly

She needs one more round of shots which I will be getting in two weeks with a checkup. Please let me know opinions to reduce the seperation anxiety and food amounts.

Thanks (Some pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
1st off, you've only had her a couple days...the mellowness and the attachment is pretty much to be expected right after being removed from her littermates....i would recommend, to avoid any future problems, of giving her (making her take time?) away from you, even if only for short periods of time (15 min stretches?)....

w/ the food, i don't see how 1/2-3/4 c a day would be enuff for a pup of that breed...i think it means for an adult weight not the pups weight (that's what i've always read it as, anyway, and just keep tabs on their eating/weight)...

and, at 8 wks, why does she only need one more set of shots?...she should have just gotten her 1st set at 8 wks, up till then they have the immunities from the mom....(my shot schedule goes 1st set 8 wks, 2nd-12 wks, 3rd-16 wks along w/ rabies, then a booster at one yr)

oh, she's a cutie, by the way :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and, at 8 wks, why does she only need one more set of shots?...she should have just gotten her 1st set at 8 wks, up till then they have the immunities from the mom....(my shot schedule goes 1st set 8 wks, 2nd-12 wks, 3rd-16 wks along w/ rabies, then a booster at one yr)

oh, she's a cutie, by the way :)
Thanks!! I am trying to do that. I am not crating, rather using a playpen area. I put her in there alone every so often and she will stop whining after a while.

With the food I am trying to measure out what she eats at one time, and then measure that out for her meals. Is that ok to do? I just don't want to overfeed and although I am breaking my liver treats up into fours she is still eating more treats than usual while I am training her.

As far as the shots, I don't know. This is my first dog, this is what the rescue organazation I adopted from did? I will have her to the vet next week.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
when i think back to my pups, it seems they were each getting (at 8 wks) about 1 1/4 c a day of food (Border Collies) split into 4 feedings (i feed Purina One puppy til 4 mo the gradually switch to adult by 5 mo)...

use your judgement and feel...if she feels "ribby" or "boney" to you, give her a bit more food, if you can't LIGHTLY feel ribs (and i mean lightly on a pup, it should be w/ a little pressure; you want a little extra there for growth) then she may be getting too much....you don't want a distended belly (bloated looking) you want a nice round pup, kinda like this...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My only problem (and I am a softie) is that she is attached at the hip. Seperation is very bad, she whines uncontrolablly. When with me she is right by my side.
This is perfectly normal for a puppy. I wouldn't worry about this at all. Puppies want to stay close to "the pack." They will learn that they can be alone, but this takes time, and is not something you should expect from an eight-week-old puppy.

Congrats on the new addition, by the way. She's adorable!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts