Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there is a fee or pick of litter...I have a question.My dog was in heat and I woman walked by and her dog came and visited mine.I did say I would like to mate her and allow her to have a litter...She allowed them to mate..There was nothing said about money...Well we started talkinig after it was done and she said about pick of litter..She said she would like a MALE..I said sure...Well then I got about time for my dog to give birth that since she couldn't have a puppy that she wanted half the money I get for the puppies..First mine and her dog are not pure breed...And no papers....I had no problem..Then she said later on about a % of what I make since she was not allowed to have a puppy..I had no problem well now the puppies are here she don't want any money.I remember and have her text about she was not allowed to have a puppy and she did state male..I picked a female I wanted to keep and now she wants that one..She first wanted money cause she couldn't have a puppy and now since I picked a female cause she wanted a male she wants that one she says its her right...I just need some answers when we first mated there was NO agreement..And I just found out she is now only 18 years old and when we first allowed them to mate she was 17 yrs old.I never knew she was 17 when they mated she looked in her 30's like me...Any answers would be great...Thank you

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Usually owner of stud gets pick of the litter, if male pup wasn't approved the stud owner chooses, hence the term "pick of the litter".
The fee, instead of pup is usually price of one pup. So $1000 pups, the stud fee is usually $1000.

This should have been in writing beforehand, or with a very trusted breeder.

Being that the dogs were mixed breed, unregistered, were they health tested and hips x rated?

If not I would happily give her a pup, any pup, and hope you are able to find appropriate responsible homes, that have no desire to breed and add to the overpopulation of dogs bred for no reason.
Have the new owners sign a spay/neuter contract.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You mated two dogs of unknown breeding just because you saw the male walking by your house? And you think you are going to be selling these puppies? And your squabbling with the other dog's owner over money for randomly bred puppies? Ugh. The 18 year old isn't the only one who needs to grow up. No help here, the whole situation is ridiculous. Call a rescue and place the puppies with responsible owners, then spay your dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,849 Posts
...........................................................................:doh:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I do have to question how much money she thought you guys were going to get for these pups, when she was asking for a percentage. You can't charge much for pups of two mix breed parents. In fact, I would say it's unethical to charge more than what would help cover your food/vet expenses(such as shots/etc. for the pups). Even then, you will probably end up having to give them away. Please find good homes for them.

I can't say I approve of this whole operation, as it sounds like little thought was given to this breeding.

If there was no contract signed, she probably doesn't have a legal foot to stand on. I don't know about the normal practices between dam/sire owners, so I would refer you to more knowledgable posters (juliemule) for that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You mated two dogs of unknown breeding just because you saw the male walking by your house? And you think you are going to be selling these puppies? And your squabbling with the other dog's owner over money for randomly bred puppies? Ugh. The 18 year old isn't the only one who needs to grow up. No help here, the whole situation is ridiculous. Call a rescue and place the puppies with responsible owners, then spay your dog.
My sentiments exactly. I'm sorry to be blunt, but you were/are extremely irresponsible in this case. Surely (I hope) there was slightly more to it and that it wasn't simply "oh, hey, you have a male dog that you're walking right now? I want my female to have puppies. Want to sit here with me until the dogs do the dirty deed?" And seriously, you had no clue who this person was? 17 years old? Is it even her dog or her parents' dog? Perhaps she can't have a puppy because her parents would be questioning where in the world it came from? Just saying.

All that aside, this is an absurd situation and you have no leg to stand on. You should put things just as bluntly to her and come to an absolute clear agreement as to what will appease her, be it a puppy or a few dollars. Neither of you showed any sort of responsible actions (based off of your story) and the puppies are worth little more than how much any given person may be willing to give for a cute, young puppy. I surely hope you will not be trying to sell these puppies to unknowing people under the guise of false information, but rather simply that you have a litter of puppies needing good homes and vet care to ensure their health as they grow.

I love dogs, cute puppies, etc etc and to me random mixes are often the best looking dogs, and there's nothing to say that these of yours cannot or will not grow to be great companions for someone, but in the realm of puppies and values, they likely have very little value past being cute. So it'd probably be in her best interest to take one from the litter, and better for you financially as it sounds like this random 18 year old girl would be asking for much more money than they're worth if she just wants a payment, and again, a percentage of the total "profit" SHOULDN'T be too horribly much on these. You need to find a good shelter or rescue, or try to find homes for them for no cost or little more than a small rehoming fee.

·
Super Moderator
11,849 Posts
I think the owners of both dogs should just sue each other for extreme irresponsibility.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think the owners of both dogs should just sue each other for extreme irresponsibility.
Better yet, let's get the dogs to sue them for extreme stupidity.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Everyone has given you valid, hindsight advice. And I agree with many of them. However to address your question:
1. There is no legal right without documentation. However, a verbal contract or text may be adequate. I don't know you specific details.
2. She asked for a male puppy. That was the agreement. She can't change her mind 3 times after the fact. Give her pick of the males.
3. Do not give her your female under any circumstances.
4. If she doesn't want a male, you are not obligated to give her money, but if you decide otherwise, no money until ALL pups are sold.
5. After you have adopted out all puppies, divide total received by the number of puppies to get the average price per pup.
6. If you want to give her money, then give only the average price for one pup.
7. Keep all texts, document the conversations, keep all receipts and document all costs, in case she wants to sue. If she goes to small claims court, you need to clearly and logically explain how she has changed her mind from the original agreement. Then say you are still willing to give her the pick of any male. If there are no pups left, say you will give her the average price. And, if she argues, then bring out your clear, clean, detailed records of your COSTS per puppy. Usually, non-professionals back-off when they see how much it costs to raise a litter of puppies. And, usually the judge will side with the person who has the best documentation, especially financial.
8. Costs include - Whelping box, blankets, collars, cleaning, food, Vet costs, meds, toys, shots, ... anything that you spent on the mother-to-be or on all of the puppies (not just on your female).

·
Registered
462 Posts
No wonder millions of dogs are euthanized in shelters every year. How about my rights? I have to pay $30 every year to license each of my altered pets to support the shelter to take care of other people's irresponsible behavior.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Somewhat ironic that this is brought up considering I just finished reading this before coming on DF

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Costs of raising and whelping pups should be of no concern to the stud owner. That is up to the bitches owner. That's why stud fees are collected up front, or on confirmation of an ultrasound.

If a c section is required, or the entire litter dies, well that's part of breeding.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Unless there was a written contract involved, I don't think she can legally get anything.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Will I be seeing this on ' Judge Judy'?

And in response to another thread- This is the exact reason the general public should spay/neuter their pets.

I do have a couple of questions for you. What kind of dogs were the mom and pop? And why did you decide to breed your female?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself

1 - 18 of 18 Posts