Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right. I am the only one on board. For what? The puppy-months.

My pup is a german shepherd, 3 and a half months old. To get attention (like a child would) he: whines, barks, cries, howls... I know that because it would be noise polution it is best to be able to keep his loud howls and barks under control. He doesn't bark at people (well heck he is partially blind), or at other dogs...

He just does it for attention. And I've found that he thinks everything is a game or attention (sound, touch, etc) so I've resorted to a spray bottle (that has held and only ever will hold straight water! NO chemicals!) Anyways, it works. He loves his water, just...not sparayed without warning in his face. :wink: So anyways, my boyfirend coddles him. "Aww he just wants attention" which is EXACTLY why he whines, because he KNOWS he can get attention. So my efforts are futile.

Does anyone have a tip to get EVERYONE on track? Get him to tell his friends or family that come over NOT to encourage the whining, howling, barking, etc for attention? He's mad because I told him not to encourage the whining "well he stops when you pet him, see?" URG -faceplant-

I'm tired. He howled this morning x.x

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah, I had the exact same problem with my mother and younger sister! This is a very common problem, unfortunately!

In order to get through to them I warned them about how bad things could get if those behavioral issues do not get solved while he is still young. I think they understood my point after I made them watch a few episodes of The Dog Whisperer/It's Me or the Dog (I agree with positive reinforcement and therefore I told them to disregard their training techniques but I wanted them to see true testimonials of how unpleasant life with an ill-behaved dog can get - both for the humans and the dog) I also got them to read a few books (or important excerpts when they were feeling particularly lazy) on dog training in order for them to understand that what I was trying to teach them is in fact legitimate. Either it finally sunk in or they just got sick of me and decided to play along! ;) As for guests, be firm without being rude and tell them that it is your dog, you have your views on how he should be dealt with and would like for them to respect that and please listen to your suggestions.

Those puppy months are hard work and harder still when you're the only one on board, but I'm sure things will work out just fine! I would also like to commend you for taking in a blind puppy that would have been put down, a commitment not many people are willing to make! Best of luck to you! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! He is a good pup, and will be a great dog. I mean he walks off leash (blindness at fault hehehe), he is soooo calm in the car I forget he is there! Right now he is snoozing in front of the stairs, not caring my boyfriend just left.

If anything, I'll make him watch separation anxiety youtube videos, destructive dog videos, etc. Because this puppy looooooves to chew lol. I got him out of chewing some things already, and we're keeping it that way :) I can even use my dad's dog as an example (she was from the spca, and had major separation anxiety but my dad HAD to have her because "she looks so sad" routine).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aww well that's great, he sounds like such a joy to live with! :D

I do hope that will work! The chewing is absolutely normal since he is teething but needs to be dealt with properly, which I'm sure you're doing! Keep us posted on any progress concerning your training on the humans hehe! ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha sure will :) Yeah we gave him a pig's nose, a rope toy, three tennis balls, plus a teddy bear who he likes to drag around =D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Haha sure will :) Yeah we gave him a pig's nose, a rope toy, three tennis balls, plus a teddy bear who he likes to drag around =D
Rotate his toys so he doesn't get bored with them. Rope toy on Monday, pig nose on Tuesday, that sort of thing. My pup has a lamb she gets on Mondays and she acts like she's never seen it before.

Sadly there is a great deal of people training when it comes to dogs. I had to train my husband and two children before I could start training the pup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah seems like that will be the way here hahaha.

Well, the silly thing eats everything... He did another "gravel poop" -sigh- He'll get it out of his system. Luckily the place we are moving to lacks gravel in the yard!!

We moved his crate to our room so he could hear us. We ignored him after we told him to be quiet once, and he didn't whine for the rest of the night.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahaha!!

well, the dog decided that "where's that spray? I wanna eat it!" kinda thing so now the spray bottle is useless -facepalm-

·
Registered
332 Posts
To stop Auriel from barking at the cat I simply get her focused on me. I use the method from "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell. Auriel barks at the cat, so I hold a smelly treat right in front of her nose. Using the treat I lead her away from the cat, say, "Shhhh" and give her the treat when she's quiet, but usually when I hold the treat in front of her nose, the barking stops anyway. I just need to make sure she's not getting rewarded for barking. :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smart hehehe. If he were a bit older his attention span would be better LOL. As for treats, I've noticed his eyes "waver" so when there is a treat he cannot see it and ends up trampling you trying to find it, even if your hand is holding it to his mouth lol. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts