Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hooty is a year and a half old, I just got him 4 days ago, I noticed he has a testicle that didnt drop. I know this is bad and its said it can cause cancer and I plan on getting him fixed asap. Im wondering if anyone knows anything about this and how much more do you think it will be to get him fixed because of it? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Perhaps a change of name is in order to Adolf. It was rumored that he had only one testicle. Hope Hooty isn't an angry person like he was.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I forget how much more it cost, but it was more than a normal neuter. And the recovery was a bit longer. I'm sure your vet could give you the answers over the phone.

Link (graphic neuter pictures)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
when i had our boy neutered (over 12 yrs ago) it was about the same as a spay as they had to go in to find it....if the testicle is right there but just didn't descend it may not be much more but if they have to go look for it, that's pretty much what they charge (spay)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
This is not a big deal. It's a common issue in Whippets. It may cost a little extra, but it shouldn't be too much, depending how far up it is.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Peanut had this. It's called Cryptorchidism and Peanut's neuter was about the same cost as a spay give or take but a neuter is typically less than a spay. The 'lost' testicle is just in the abdomen and the vet must spay and neuter the animal. The testicle is somewhere in between the bladder and the inguinal rings or wholes in the abdomen where the testicle was originally suppose to pass through to descend. It's a riskier operation than either a spay or neuter because the operation itself is more complicated and is in essence two surgeries. He should do fine though :) Peanut was only 7 pounds and he came out perfect with no complications. I would advise getting your boy fixed asap though.. the retained testicle could cause further problems.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Have you ever had him tranquilized? I don't know if it is the same for dogs, as it is horses, but sometimes if it is just stuck behind the inguinal ring, tranqing will relax the muscle so it can drop. Something you might ask your vet about. Of course if it is higher up, that won't work (in horses), and I am assuming, dogs as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts