Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loki is the smelliest dog I have ever come across. His farts are brutal! We asked the vet and he said his food was too rich ... but didn't say what, at the time we had him on Blue Buffalo Wilderness formula. So we switched to regular puppy formula .. which had less protein. Still stinky but not as much. Then we had his bum checked and the vet said he was fine ... just the food.

Well after some research, we want to try and buy local as much as possible and learning of the way Blue dealt with their meat sourcing, I decided to switch to Origen, fully aware that its 80% protein. It has been 2 days with about 25% of Origen added to his regular blue buffalo .... now we are back to full blown, room clearing farts!

Has anyone had this issue with food? Is it the protein? I was under the assumption protein was good for them. If I lower how much I give him will it ease up? Anything I can add to make him a little less deadly?

I dont want to put him on some low protein high carb diet just for this ...

I also switched the cats too ... they are not interested, but Greg will eat the puppy kibble :doh:

·
Registered
222 Posts
My puppy had room clearing farts also, when she was on Royal Canin. I switched her to Orijen, and it's been much better. I took forever to fully switch her though, like a few more kibbles every day.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While we were away my mom successfully transitioned Loki on to Origen - poops are solid, all is well - the farts are LESS frequent but still smelly. I can't find that post, but perhaps a google search is in need - it makes sense though, humans use probiotics and other supplements to change the smell/ frequency of gas why not dogs! Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
While we were away my mom successfully transitioned Loki on to Origen - poops are solid, all is well - the farts are LESS frequent but still smelly. I can't find that post, but perhaps a google search is in need - it makes sense though, humans use probiotics and other supplements to change the smell/ frequency of gas why not dogs! Thanks for the suggestion!
I was looking for probiotics at the pet store a few weeks ago ... no such thing in my area ... but try some plain unflavored yogurt added as a topper to the meal. It will help with the friendly bacteria in the stomach. It worked for my smelly " Gas Me Out " dog a while ago. :) Add a couple tablespoons to the food. Actually my dogs like it right off of the spoon itself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ALSO on a side note ... I have noticed a correlation between the speed in which he eats and his farts ... so I have started putting more of his meals in his Kong to slow him down. I am reluctant to try the rocks because he likes to play with them and I dont have any big enough at my disposal to prevent that SO. Kong it is.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking for probiotics at the pet store a few weeks ago ... no such thing in my area ... but try some plain unflavored yogurt added as a topper to the meal. It will help with the friendly bacteria in the stomach. It worked for my smelly " Gas Me Out " dog a while ago. :) Add a couple tablespoons to the food. Actually my dogs like it right off of the spoon itself.
I just got him yogurt today while we were out. Do you give it to them at each meal (assuming of course you feed more than once) ? He gets 3 meals and I will be cutting out the lunch meal pretty soon - with the Origen it seems like he needs smaller meal amounts.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I just got him yogurt today while we were out. Do you give it to them at each meal (assuming of course you feed more than once) ? He gets 3 meals and I will be cutting out the lunch meal pretty soon - with the Origen it seems like he needs smaller meal amounts.
Sorry ... just got home from grocery shopping ....

You could maybe give one tablespoon per meal. I usually just gave two big heaping tablespoons once a day.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If he is eating fast, he is gulping air as well, hence the gas coming out the other end.

Brachycephalic dogs (smooshed in face dogs like pugs) are also prone to gas from swallowing air when eating.

If it persists, I would change foods.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The yogurt was not agreeing with him ... so I got him a new feeding type toy to keep him from eating too fast and I increased his exercise and he has been better. I read the same thing about gulping air, I figured thats the biggest issue. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
329 Posts
If Orijen is too rich, you could try Acana. They are made by the same Canadian company, but the Acana line has less meat protein.

A Kong Wobbler is a fun way to get your dog to eat more slowly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts