Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Yorkie Dogs.
Harry is almost 2 years old and George is 1. Harry was a very timid dog and very gentle. We decided to have a second one and George was a very dominant puppy. They get on well now, play together. Harry has become increasingly aggressive and growls at me viciously like a wolf. I find him quite unnerving, as I am disabled and on warfarin, I really don't want a dog bite. When he growls at me, I walk away and he comes straight to me and licks my hand.We have just had George castrated in the hope that calming him down may help the situation. I couldn't get rid of him it would break my heart as I love them both so much but his behaviour is getting very worrying. I think its fear aggression, he walks with low self esteem, with his tail and head down.
I have never hit him I wouldn't but I don't know what to do.Any suggestions
Val

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I have two Yorkie Dogs.
Harry is almost 2 years old and George is 1. Harry was a very timid dog and very gentle. We decided to have a second one and George was a very dominant puppy. They get on well now, play together. Harry has become increasingly aggressive and growls at me viciously like a wolf. I find him quite unnerving, as I am disabled and on warfarin, I really don't want a dog bite. When he growls at me, I walk away and he comes straight to me and licks my hand.We have just had George castrated in the hope that calming him down may help the situation. I couldn't get rid of him it would break my heart as I love them both so much but his behaviour is getting very worrying. I think its fear aggression, he walks with low self esteem, with his tail and head down.
I have never hit him I wouldn't but I don't know what to do.Any suggestions
Val
you are already approaching this well. No reaction to the growling...just calmly and normally walk away...take it a step further and when he comes to you and licks your hand, ignore him for a few seconds and then tell him to sit and give him a reward when he sits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I have Lupus and was already disabled when I had him,he has grown up used to me walking with a stick and using a mobility buggy. When he was a puppy he was attacked by a boxer and I fell trying to save him, it cost me a hospital spell,he became very close to my husband at this time but is protective of me, if ever I am upset or hubby and I have a row he always comes to me and sits at my feet.He has started growling at my husband as well.
I will continue the ignoring him and hope this helps. Thanks I will keep you posted, any other ideas will be appreciated.

Val

1 - 4 of 4 Posts