Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say, I am not in a rush to get a new pet. But, I have been looking around for a little while now and have come to the conclusion that, I am in need of a furry friend. I just recently gave my ball python and rat breeding colony to a friend of mine and I have a whole that needs filled :rolleyes:

ANyways, I really wanted to adopt but everywhere I turn I get declined for some reason or another. ALso, I have a very specific type that I am looking for.

On craigslist, I found a Male brindle english mastiff pup (which is my husbands dream dog and I like them too). He is 8 months old and she is asking a very reasonable price for him (considering they can be well over a grand typically). I am going to go see him on Sunday. If it doesn't work out for any reason, I am walking away. My store is starting a new adoption area for cats so I will just wait for the right one to come along.

Wish me luck. I lost the cord to my camera but I will buy another one and post pics of whoever I end up with, puppy or kitten.

·
Registered
750 Posts
What type of breeder is this puppy comming from??

They are plenty of english mastiff pups that you could rescue, it would be alot better if you rescued a pup rather than buying a pup from craiglist.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree, I really do. But I have been looking and looking and most rescues probably wouldn't adopt to me for one reason or another (ex: no fence, live in trailor, etc). I also don't want to pay more than 500 for adoption fees or rehoming fees. I may not even take this dog. But it is just "something" how I find the perfect dog...well, not perfect obviously, but fitting my conditions (husband had to like it and lately all he wants is a brindle mastiff, must be housebroken, young but not too young, male because I prefer males, and affordable).

If I don't take it, I seriously hope someone as good as I am with my pets, takes him.

·
Banned
335 Posts
What happened to the Cane Corso? Oh, and what I said about the CC is almost precisely what I would say about the Mastiff, without the temperament problems. Unless you or your husband have lots of dog experience, then you don't need a Molosser breed of any type. It's too dangerous to the community and it does a disservice to the dog, otherwise.

And, respectfully, you certainly do seem to be in a hurry to find a dog and all of those you have mentioned have been wildly inappropriate for your experience and living arrangements.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you just rehomed your snake and rats, why would you get a new pet? If you cannot make the commitment to those pets, then how can you make a 10+ year commitment to a dog or cat?
Pets are not "hole fillers". Find a new hobby, volunteer at a shelter.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can look around, I don't think its being in a hurry. I haven't done anything but look. I tend to obsess on things (not just pet related) and basically I just want to know what I am going to do. So I decided that if this dog doesn't work out, I am going to get a kitten and be done with it for a while. I haven't gotten a new pet since my ferrets about 5 years ago (not including the snake). I got rid of my snake for many reasons, none of which I feel the need to defend. And the rats, they go with the snake, they were not pets. I arranged my snake to go to a very reliable, responsible snake person. I myself, not so much a snake person. I am a dog person :) I didn't get rid of him because I couldn't care for him, he was the easiest pet to care for. I didn't really feel he was a "pet" though. Oh, here I go, starting to defend my actions....silly me.

I do feel bad that I got rid of him, but I did the right thing and he went to a good place.

I decided against the cane corso. Reading up on the breed, I realized he wasn't for me. I am not dumb, I am not rushing, and I am trying my best to make the right decisions. I respect your suggestions, but not your passive "not so nice" comments. Thats a message forum though, isn't it.

I just post my ideas here because it is full of like minded, dog people. I like to see what people think. Like the "friendly" warnings about the cane corso. I appreciate that.

I think english mastiff is a good fit for us. If we do get this dog, he wont exactly be neglected or cramped. I live in a trailor, this is true, but he will have his own room, plenty of exercise (but I nt overdo it), the best food, etc. Please don't tell me he isnt going to be ok with me, my pets are my kids.

And with the cat, I had a cat before but he died from a heart condition. I miss having a cat around so if the dog thing falls through, I am going to get a cat, and He can have his own room :) I was thinking of setting up a cat play room in our spare room that we dont even use.

Ok, anyways, pics will follow whenever I DO decide. Oh, and as far as being in a hurry, if I get a cat I am waiting for the right one to come along, so no hurry there.

·
Banned
335 Posts
If you treat your dog like a child, then you've lost before you even started with a Molosser breed. You've defended getting rid of your other animals, but nowhere do you say how much dog experience you have and particularly not large dog experience. Please, rethink your dog breed preferences or get your cat while you spend more time researching the breeds that you prefer and go to a good breeder who can mentor you in their care. Craigslist and Petfinder are not the places to find your first giant breed dog.

Edited to Add

I decided against the cane corso. Reading up on the breed, I realized he wasn't for me. I am not dumb, I am not rushing, and I am trying my best to make the right decisions. I respect your suggestions, but not your passive "not so nice" comments. Thats a message forum though, isn't it.

I just post my ideas here because it is full of like minded, dog people. I like to see what people think. Like the "friendly" warnings about the cane corso. I appreciate that.
Please let me know where I was passive-aggressive and I will work on that--I meant to be totally blunt, but polite. I am not interested in salving people's pride while trying to preserve the life of a dog that is not suited to them, although I draw the line at being nasty about it. I am too personally invested in the dog fancy to want to see anyone bring any further harm on it, even if I don't care about the particular breed. Had I wanted to be nasty, I would have suggested that you had less than honorable reasons for wanting a large dog with a "reputation," as someone I showed your previous thread to suggested; however, I try to think that people are generally good at heart.

What I will say is that even if your intentions are good, you have apparently failed to think through your desire for a Molosser breed. I *want* a Gordon Setter so bad that I can taste it, but I realize that the minute the dog stands over me with a cord of drool hanging from its mouth or I clean dog saliva from the walls and ceiling, that dog would be on its way back to the breeder faster than you can say Jack "Spit." Sometimes you have to pass up what you want for what is right.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
omg really? Ok. I figured sound health was a given? You guys are kind of like a pack of wolves, as soon as one person attacks you all do lol. Ok, well I happen to like this forum so I will leave it at that and not attack back.

Why do I have to list my dog experience? And did I say I treat them like human children? I meant that figuratively, as in, what I would do for a human child, I would do for a dog.

You don't know me, or what I do with my dogs. Sure you could nicely ask me I guess, if you care that much. Lets see, I do my research on dog foods (more than I can say for your average dog owner), make sure they have appropriate toys and chews ( I try to give them more natural chews), we go for regular walks through the unoccupied woods behind my place, have regular play sessions outside in the yard, regular grooming (which consists of brushing them, washing their ears, clipping their nails, and the occassional tooth brishing, supplements such as glucosamine, and the list goes on)

I do not put clothes on them, or paint their nails, or any of that cutesy crap a lot of people do. If thats something you do, then hey great for you I guess. I see them as dogs, though I LOVE them as children.

It sucks that I can't just tell you guys what I am thinking about doing without getting ripped up to shreds when you don't even know what I do. I come to this forum to learn from others, not be judged by others. I haven't done anything yet. I have a very large dog and a pretty small dog. I have had dogs most of my life and worked in kennels. I try to learn about them as much as possible. I thought thats what this forum was for?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't know why you'd walk away -- if you really want a dog and this one doesn't work out, why not wait for whichever one suits you best? You haven't been searching long, I don't think you should give up so soon.

I don't think you need to defend to anyone your reasons for rehoming your snake. That said I think everyone who posted has the dog's and your best interest in mind. Health is definitely a concern and so is temperament. What is their reason for getting rid of the pup? jw.

Good luck with whatever happens, either way. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am not sure what you mean by "less than honorable intentions"? Are you referring to breeding the dog or fighting it? Well geez, of course not. My animals are fixed and companions. The reasons I want this type of dog are my own, but I assure you, they are honorable...

As far as the hip dsplaysia thing, yes I have thought about that.

I guess the fact that I have wanted another dog (and cat ever since Leo died, sigh) for a while now, and I have had the opportunity to get one, its exciting to know that I can. But not just ANY dog (or cat). SO im looking and looking and I see this ad for this dog which is close to exactly what I am looking for, its like, wow! But I am also tired of looking. If this doesn't work, I am going to wait for a cat to come to me because there are sooo many cats out there and now that we are getting an adoption agency at work, it will happen.

and thank you MISSMUTT

Oh and to answer your question, I asked the lady that and her answer was that she was getting a divorce, it was her husbands dog, and it is too much dog for her three little kids. Thats what her story was. I am wary though, I am always wary with craiglist

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
omg really? Ok. I figured sound health was a given?
No it's not a given. Many people don't even think about health, while some people I know will actually seek out the sickest dogs to adopt on purpose, in an attempt to give them a better life.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Wow, I'm a little surprised by some of the responses here.

That being said, when I got my first GSD, I didn't know a thing about them. She was a rescue and in dire need of a home and vet care. Me being the person that I am, took her in. I knew dogs and such but didn't know much about the GSD breed other than the fact that I was never really a fan. Once I had her, I started to learn more by doing some research and learning as we went. I soon fell in love... not only with her but with the breed. If I had it to do over again I would probably have researched more before getting her, but I didn't have that option.

You don't need to justify anything to anyone on a forum. Just because you like the look of certain breeds, doesn't mean you're interested in them for less than honorable reasons. You sound like you'd give a dog a good home. Good luck with your search :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You can get decent dogs off of Craiglist, btw. My friend's GSD is FANTASTIC.

But with a breed like the mastiff, I might go to a breeder first.

But, it's YOUR decision just make sure you can live with the outcome - good or bad.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The responses are really surprising to me too and I'm confused as to why people are jumping to negative conclusions here. I'm not seeing any red flags or indicators that this person has "less than honorable intentions"...Loup why would you even say that? I also see no indications that the op hasn't done research or isn't prepared for the breeds s/he is looking at, what makes you guys think that is the case?

OP, I hope you find the right dog for you, please be cautious with craigslist, do ask alot of questions. Let us know how it goes.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I'm not seeing any red flags or indicators that this person has "less than honorable intentions"...Loup why would you even say that? I also see no indications that the op hasn't done research or isn't prepared for the breeds s/he is looking at, what makes you guys think that is the case?
I didn't say that. If you actually read my post, you will understand that I was quoting an acquaintance who felt that the OP was in too much of a hurry to get her hands on the first big dog of a particular kind of reputation. As to the OP not doing research, this thread is not her first. If you follow her history, you will see that she has wanted three large dogs, of three different breeds, for three different reasons--although they all seem to be her "dream" dogs or "dream dogs" for her husband. There is no clear indication that she has thought any of these breeds through.

I have never once said that she needs to justify her desires to any of us here. However, I have discouraged her in this thread and in her last thread from making an ill-considered decision in haste. I believe that ANY large breed dog would be a mistake in her situation, since she does not have a fence and does not state if she has any dog experience AND since it seems as if she is willing to settle for the first huge dog that she can get her hands on.

I do not apologize for saying anything that I have said. As a member of the dog fancy I have a responsibility to ensure that I do what I can, when I can, to prevent people from making terrible mistakes that will harm the individual, the dog, the community, and the fancy at large. It's irresponsible for me to encourage anyone who seems as unsuited as this person does to bring a large breed (particularly one like the Cane Corso) into her home, to actually do so. In my opinion, it's easier to prevent a mistake than it is to pick up the pieces afterward.

According to the OP, she posted here to learn things. "Learning" does not entail having people nod and glad hand you. "Learning" entails taking what you are told, both good and bad, then processing it and either accepting or rejecting the information. I might not be the easiest person to get advice from when I am honest and refuse to sugar coat information, but I refuse to be an enabler at who-knows-what cost. Yes, it is the OP's decision as to what to do with her life and her dog, but if all she wants is validation of a decision she's already made, then why is she bothering to post here?

I stand by what I've said. I would appreciate that any other comments being directed to me be directed through PM, as I would prefer to let my involvement in this thread lapse.

Reactions: Keechak

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I didn't say that. If you actually read my post, you will understand that I was quoting an acquaintance who felt that the OP was in too much of a hurry to get her hands on the first big dog of a particular kind of reputation.
But your friend didn't post it on this forum, you are the one who mentioned it here. I have looked through the op's previous posts too and I'm not seeing the issue...the op has decided to get another dog and is looking for a particular type...I also thought that the Corso from before was not the best choice, but I'm not understanding why there is hostility toward the op....I think providing information, links, breed specific forums, are all a good way to go, but driving someone away from the forum isn't productive.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Just be prepared for a dog that a lot of the times when you say sit, come, or down will look at you and walk away ;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I agree Sheltiemom, the pattern I see is that they want a Molosser breed.

Not having a fenced yard is not neccesarliy a reason to not have this type of dog or any dog as long as you are willing to exercise it appropriately. I too have seen the OP's other threads and saw no red flags. I also agree that the Corso may not be right for them but it does not rule out the whole Molosser category.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just be prepared for a dog that a lot of the times when you say sit, come, or down will look at you and walk away ;)
I don't feel that is an accurate statement. No dog, no matter the breed should be allowed to show that kind of disrespect AFTER they know those commands. You train dogs, not breeds. Yes to modify some, but you don't make excuses based on breed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts