Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup broke my finger. (Story later) Now I've got my left hand in a splint leaving me mostly one handed (I'm a righty fortunately). It's amazing how much more difficult everything is.
i could use some tips on coping if you've got any

We made it through a trip to my parents' house for Thanksgiving But now I'm on my own again.
walks and poo bags are the biggest trick. I have a fenced yard but Indy saves pooping in the yard as a last resort. Tying poo bags is very tricky. (Carry zip ties?). its winter in New England and I can't get a glove on the injured hand. Fortunately, I can get my splinted hand down the sleeve of my coat.

Story: I was trying to keep Indy calm as a bigger dog crossed on the other side of the street. Indy lunged away from me. I had a good grip on the leash with my right hand but my left pinky caught the leash or harness and my finger hurt a bit. Then it started swelling... lets see how much this empties from my HSA :doh:

That's me :wave:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Oh no! That sucks.

Wear a belt and use a carbine clip to attach the leash to the belt. I often do that if I take my big camera out on walks to take pictures, and supporting the camera effectively makes me one-handed. Or no-handed. That way you can drop the leash without fear of the dog running off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have no tips, I just have to say that is one of my big concerns. My dog is an occasional puller, but it's pretty steady, and I often have a finger twisted up in the leash when I'm trying to hold it short. I've gotta break that habit!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ouch! My right wrist was in a cast for a bit earlier this year. I carry the poop bag twisted then twisted around a couple fingers like an extremely gross ring. Then when you are at a trash do the awkward knotting. Prepare the bag before the walk so it's easy to use.

I walk Bucky on a sling lead most of the time which leaves both hands ready for action and helps with balance. It was meant to be a waist lead but ended up too long and I haven't bothered to shorten it. It can rub my neck some when he does his best lunging but it sure is easy to put on and take off. Had some concerns about it coming off over my head when leaning over but so far so good.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
A hands-free leash is a god-send. I'll admit, I mostly use mine to walk two dogs at once, rather than because I only have one hand available, but it makes a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts