Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here in a long time. I'm suddenly having issues with the dogs, and I'm at a loss.

dog #1 C- 11 year old male GSD, neutered, in great health, for an old guy, and just had a check up about a month ago. We've had him since he was a puppy. Great dog. Really amazing awesome dog. Normally very well behaved, if a bit barky when when the UPS guy drives by. :laugh:

dog #2 T- 2 yr old male Havanese. Had his most recent check up 2 weeks ago, and is in excellent health. He is also neutered. Also a very well behaved dog, but still has that puppy enthusiasm, if you know what I mean. He likes to play more than the big dog does. We've had him since he was a puppy as well. Typical Havanese. Sweet, playful, cuddly, loves everyone and is just a cheerful sweet companion all the time. Totally thinks he will be a GSD one day. :laugh:

No other pets. 3 kids. 2200 sq foot home on a fully fenced acre in the country. I'm a stay at home mom, so I'm home with the dogs almost all day, so they aren't crated all day alone or anything.

The dogs have been best friends since the day we brought T home. They play together, sleep together, go on walks together, there has never been any issues with regards to food guarding or anything. I've been very pleased with how well the transition went to tell the truth. C had always been an only dog, but T entered the family seamlessly.

So, yesterday I hear T growl. Havanese are not exactly crabby little dogs, and it caught my attention because I've never heard anything other than playful little noises out of him. He was growling at the big dog. And then he went nuts after the big dog. At first I thought that T was being a snot, so I kenneled him for a bit. But after that I noticed that actually the big dog won't leave him alone. He's staring at him, herding him away from the kids and I, nipping at his ears, neck, and belly all. the. time. Until T finally loses his patience and goes after him. I can't figure it out. He's acting as if he doesn't know who T is, and he thinks that he isn't OK to be near the rest of the family. I've never seen C act like this before. He's just annoying the stuffings out of the little dog.

The 2 dogs have been separated except for quick little visits when I rotate them in and out. I don't want anyone stuck alone all day, so they each spend a few hours in the kennel. It's been the same thing every time they see each other.

Has anyone heard of this type of thing?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Did the vet do bloodwork on the 11 yr old at the last checkup? If not, get it done. Low thyroid can cause aggression. Also, some meds like Rimadyl and prednisone can cause aggression.

Old dogs can also get dementia, and there are drugs to help with that.

Another problem that can occur between old/young dogs is the old one will start to lose hearing, and fail to miss a warning growl from the other dog, so the younger dog thinks the other one is being rude, then goes after the old one, who then feels unfairly attacked, and begins to look at the younger one with suspicion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He did have blood work at his last check up. They wanted to see how his kidneys were doing, since they didn't look so hot on the last visit, but they were normal, and all the other bloodwork, including thyroid was normal. About a year or so ago he dropped about 10 pounds, but since we started a special diet his weight has been steady. He has a little bit of cataracts, and his hearing isn't as good as it was, and sometimes he's a bit stiff getting up and down, but he can still catch squirrels in the garden and run up and down the fence with the neighbor dogs. The vet said he looks great for his age.

I guess it's possible the little dog growled and the big dog didn't hear it, but it's kind of out of character for the little dog. He's very sweet, but dumb as a box of rocks and just wanders around happy and playful all the time. It's all so sudden, they've been like peas and carrots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts