Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:wave: I have a question..I have 3 dogs ..there ages are 1,7,and 10 years old..weights are 35, 70 and 75..im needing to find a dog food that is acceptable for all ages...this morning i had to put alittle bit of yogurt in their bowls so they would eat ..i have Beneful and im guessing they dont care for it..i bought a big bag so i cant let it go to waste..so for the time being im wondering if yogurt will be ok if i mix alittle in it till its all gone and start fresh...i cant afford to buy 2 different types of food but i want to find a soultion to where they eat without any fillers and i feed once a day in the AM it works for our household..so does any of you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I like Solid Gold Wolf King formulas-- it comes in Cub for pups, King for big dogs and Wee bit for little dogs-- I have a 15 week old pup a 2 year old and a 12 year old (weights are 35, 72, 75)-- the Wee bit formula with its small kibbles and higher protein really helped out the 12 year old she cant chew so great and the extra protein or something(its a great food) gave her fur a nice glossy sheen-- I actually switched them to the adult formula bigger bites b/c I was worried the pup was growing too fast (he's a Bernese Mt dog pup) but hes to skinny and needs the more concentrated formula so Im putting them back on the Cub formulation which is the large breed puppy but it is actually in between the Wee Bit formula and the Adult (Wolf King ) formula with in between size kibbles. By inbetween I mean-- higher protein than the Adult, but less than the Wee Bit-- Its a bit pricey though 58 dollars for the big (40+lb?)bag....
Have fed Solid Gold for years though and think that is why my Boxer (the 12 .5 year old) has done so well....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try searching for foods that are labeled "for all life stages." With cost being a concern, consider foods sold by Costco. They aren't top brands, but they are very good for the price. The brand I've been pleased with is Natures Domain. Make sure you go slow with a change. Watch for tummy issues and itching. Plain yogurt is ok for dogs if they tolerate milk.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Try Taste of the Wild. It is a little pricey but you feed lots less so it actually evens out. I don't really know that much about older dogs, but I know TOTW is all stages and they have lots of flavors to try! They sell it at Tractor Supply if there is one of those near you. I think Costco has a brand similar called Kirklands or something close to that.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mixing in fresh food to feed through the Beneful is a great idea. Try a scrambled egg or two between all the dogs, unsalted broth, split a can of sardine/salmon/mackerel/herring between them, cook up a bit of hamburger or chicken......... Mixing any of the above with water to make it go further is good too.

I have a link somewhere from a vet who was surprised that some dogs coming in that were fed a lousy kibble could be in great condition or terrible condition. He learned to ask another question - anything else? If the dogs were fed kibble mixed with fresh food like eggs, dairy or meat then their conditions improved a great deal. http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/nutritioncomments.html

Another kibble would be a very good idea but nobody wants to waste money already spent.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Feed out what you have and then try a different brand smaller bag though and phase it in with dog food you are feeding now. This can be done a few times till you find something they will accept. If I have a picky dog I will add some water to the kibble to soak in and a spoonful or two of canned dog food of your choice (I use Pedigree) you can then mix both kibble and the canned food and it may make it more appealing. Pick a dog food that you can afford comfortably, economy is tough.

·
Registered
334 Posts
One of the most economical foods around here is the Diamond Naturals. You can get a 40 lb bag for the Beef/Rice for about $28.00--a little more for the Chicken or Lamb--but still under $35. You can find this at Tractor Supply, a lot of feed stores and some pet food stores.

Or there is 4Health, which is sold by Tractor Supply. I believe this one is around $30 for a 30 lb bag--give or take a few dollars and a few lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your advice, yes im going to get a different brand and slowly phase this bag out...i going to our local feed store or costco

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
You seem to have figured out that Beneful isn't the best food; you should take 5 days or so to do a gradual swap so you won't waste much, if any, of the Beneful. Does the 10yr old have any arthritis? If yes, you should stick with grainfree (it's been said that grainfree is best for a dog with arthritis). Taste of the Wild would be a good choice and better on the wallet than some. Earthborn Holistics makes a few grainfrees and they are easy on the wallet as well

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with the others on TOTW. Another one to try is Canidae. I also agree with putting fresh food in with the Beneful if you want to finish that bag before you by another bag. Scrambled Eggs, chicken or other cooked meat. make sure no salt!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts