Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second weekend with my 13 week old black lab/border collie mix has been great. She is a very smart dog...Housetraining going very well. Today I spent the entire day with her and she has 99% learned to sit and play fetch. (sit in about 20 minutes)

With all the playing came the first time I heard her growl and bark. She first growled when I tried to take a rawhide bone away (also mentioned on other thread). Then we were playing and she became too agressive and began to growl/bark and attempt to playfully bite me.

My natural reaction was "ok, I will ignore her until she settles down." However in between ignoring her she was jumping, growling, and biting my arm.

What are your opinions to try and correct this as it happens before playful turns into bad agression.

She is a great pup. I am doing my best as a new dog owner to train so I probably worry too much.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
First off, I would not try to "take" high value items from the puppy. IF it is a resource guarding behaviour (as opposed to testing limits, not that THAT is good either) you need to work on TRADING for items you want to remove from the pup. Try to stick to lower value items (no rawhide for now) and always trade up. Resource guarding is often based in anxiety (fear of losing the valued item) and if you consistently trade "up" for it, and then start adding a "give" cue you will greatly reduce the opportunity or need for the pup to guard anything.

As for being worked up...this takes time to get a handle on. You may have done too much too soon with the pup and overstimulated him. Keep the sessions SHORT, both play and training sessions. Reward calm behaviour. This is a border collie cross and they are very smart and very driven. You need to work on the "off switch". Check out the stickies for rev up/cool down exercises.

Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cracker - Great Advice!

I didn't even think of trading , that's how I trained to fetch. I guess I was the one wrong, not my pup. I thought I should be able to take an item from a dog and have no agression (with training)?

As far as overstimulating, again, my fault. I love this pup and I probably played with her too much and she got excited.

I have trouble disclipling myself to give her alone time when I am home. I want to be with her all the time, when I can..

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I hear you. I found it very hard in the beginning to not give attention ALL the time. But I have a Velcro dog (prone to SA) and I HAD to learn not to. You want your pup to learn that it's okay to have downtime, that it's okay to be alone sometimes and that it is a good thing to hang out in his kennel occasionally with a chewie instead of bugging his people all the time for attention. It's a fine balance, ensuring the pup gets adequate exercise, attention and training time without blowing it all out of proportion.

As for the possibility of resource guarding, guarding behaviour IS a normal dog behaviour and many dogs do it in minor ways (they are scavengers by trade so keeping their goodies is important for survival) BUT living with humans it is not a good idea to let it get out of hand. Some do it more than others and some get really really bad if it's not dealt with early on. Teaching the dog that he doesn't "lose" when he gives something up goes a long way towards reducing or removing the behaviour altogether.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts