Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My first question in this forum!

I have a 6 month old black lab at home. Since we brought him home he has had on/off periods of lameness....

He always has a great appetite and never has a fever, which is why its not seen as too much of an emergency to the two vets I have taken him to so far.

We did a trip to a dog pysio who adjusted his back and after that he was doing MUCH better. She was the first person to utter the word "panosteitis"

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Some other facts: as a small puppy he had two bouts of Giardia which I think ended up rather under-nourishing him (between the diarrhea and the medications he was on the skinny side, no matter how much we fed him).
He does not do well on all dry kibble so we started cooking for him and he loves it and has a shiny coat and seems healthier. The vet also said that cooked food is the best in his opinion, or at least better than kibble. He is taking a glucosamine supplement daily as a just in case, since he is growing and seems to have bouts of on/off pain

as mentioned above, he always has a great appetite. For some reason, I would worry much more if he was not eating at all.

He has relatively ok energy. He has bouts where he has extreme energy and bouts where he has very little energy and sleeps more than normal. It is hard to know if this is normal or abnormal since a 6 month old puppy still sleeps a lot.

Frustrating for me is that the two vets we have seen have the philosophy of "well here is an injection for the pain, if he isnt better next week call me". Then more bouts of pain killers but no one seems to care to ask WHY he has this on and off...

I find the physios suggestion of panosteitis interesting . The info I have read online seems to fit his bill, but she is not a "proper" Vetinary doctor so it is not really a diagnosis as much as it is a suggestion...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add something...

Long story short: his first vet did an x ray to say she thought he had a spinal inflammation and suggested we go to a clinic and get a full body xray done under full anesthesia to test for HD/ED etc. I called the clinic they said they never recommend this for a puppy that young because he is still growing and they suggested I get a 2nd opinion first. So off I went to another Vet, for a second opinion and took the xray with me. He said the paper was very old and it looks like the dog moved during the xray, which is why the picture is a bit fuzzy and that is what the first vet thought looked like an inflammation. So the 2nd vet suggested he do another xray with his high tech digital xray system and he would just give a small injection to calm the dog down but not put him fully under. So he did, and the xray did not show anything dramatic. He said he looked good. Didn't really go into detail but I was relieved that there was nothing too serious at the time. As time passes, I also can't believe how vague "he looks ok" sounded. But how many vets should I take him to before someone can give me a bit more helpful information!?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
If the second xray didn't show inflammation and the vet didn't go into any further detail than "looks good" then I'd just take it at face value honestly..

Puppies are tired things. I remember worrying about my guy a few times when he'd seem "lame" and of all the times I hyped myself up about it, there was only one time where he was actually prescribed antibiotics because he was actually sick. I remember thinking it was insane that he was almost always sleeping, but when he was awake - he was quite active and played well and acted like a normal puppy.

As long as your dogs appetite is good, and during their awake periods they aren't just laying there like a blob and are playing, then you're probably in the clear.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I can't really comment too much about panosteitis, but I can comment about your situation with the vets you have seen.

I've run into a few vets who use retroactive treatments (medications, pain killers, shots), and don't use proactive preventative care, and they drive me absolutely insane. Vets who use treatment without finding the root of the problem are after one thing - your money. Especially when your dog presents with a recurring issue and their only solution is to give a shot and 'wait and see'.

Do you have any dog owning friends in the area? Did you get your Lab from a nearby breeder? Basically, is there anyone you talk to about your local veterinary offices *before* you go to see what kind of reviews the clinics get?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! well I have asked around and that is actually how I came to find the 2nd vet - by recommendation - but I wouldn't say I am 100% thrilled with him, even though he was very nice and acted more caring than the 1st vet but the general sentiment of "oh he is growing he is fine" does sort of bother me. On that note, I will admit I am a worry wort and I usually don't settle for anything so easily ;) I like clear answers ;) But BostonBullMamma has a point too, I should probably relax and not worry so much - he is after all growing! I just don't want to see him in pain and part of me worries that if its a bigger issue, it would only get worse with time... Labs are so prone to all sorts of displasias that it does leave me wondering how much can just be chalked up to him growing! The first vet used to blame the heat, since we had a heat wave here this summer and everything was always the heats fault... now that its mild and cooler, you can't blame the heat and he has the same symptoms :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there! what I forgot to say in my other reply on this thread was about the sleeping thing... he has always slept a lot since he is a puppy but when he has these bouts of lameness, he sleeps even more, which makes it basically 22 hours a day of sleeping :) BUT what bothers me is that he sleeps at times he usually wouldn't, for example when we are eating, or cooking or otherwise would probably play fetch, he sleeps. WHen he feels 100%, then he is generally begging for food when we cook and eat at the table (we don't feed him off the table). So its more than just being really sleepy, its also just acting all around off... but perhaps its part of the growing stage!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts